Author Topic: AVAST 5 and OUTLOOK EXPRESS  (Read 12297 times)

budema

AVAST 5 and OUTLOOK EXPRESS
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
i work with windows XP home SP3 and outlook express.
With avast 4.8, I didn't have any problems.
With the new Avast 5, it is impossible to get my mails.
I have to stop the mail protection service of avast 5 to get my mails ! Then works every thing OK, but my computer is not safe...

Is it a bug ? If yes, do you know when it will be fixed ?

??? :'( :-[

thanks
José

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST 5 and OUTLOOK EXPRESS
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
I still use OE and no problems with avast5.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to collect your email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

What is the full text of the error message you are getting ?

What ISP or email services are you using ?
Do they require SSL/TLS ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

budema

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
David, thank for your answer.

The problem is a connection problem : it is impossible to download my messages in outlook express.
I used before avast 4.8, without any problems. I also used the firewall of windows XP SP3.
All the settings seems to be correct : SSL is not quote, nor for the smtp, nor for the pop. The ports are seems also correct (25 for smtp, 110 for pop)

But the connection to my profider (skynet.be in Belgium) fails.
When i unquote the e-mail protection of avast 5, the connection is wel OK...

how to solve this problem ?

José

budema

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
i work with windows XP home SP3 and outlook express.
With avast 4.8, I didn't have any problems.
With the new Avast 5, it is impossible to get my mails.
I have to stop the mail protection service of avast 5 to get my mails ! Then works every thing OK, but my computer is not safe...

Is it a bug ? If yes, do you know when it will be fixed ?

??? :'( :-[

thanks
José

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Well the firewall of XP has zero outbound protection so it shouldn't be blocking outbound connections.

If the OE Tools, Accounts, Advanced tab, settings don't have the 'This server requires secure connection (SSL),'  see image, then it isn't using SSL. Now check the avast Real-Time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts, Encryption column and ensure that they are set to None, see image2.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

budema

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
thanks for your answer. I follow your recommandations, i create two lines for my account, one for smtp, one for pop, with "none" for encryption, and now sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't...

an other recommandation ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
You should have had to create any new lines for your account, they should already have been there. So there may have been something wrong with your installation (see ~~~ below). There isn't a requirement for an entry for every account, but for unique mail server/ISP if you have multiple accounts with that server. Were there any lines present before you added these new lines ?

There is something wrong other than just avast (your email server) if what you say is correct, it should be as it was before, it either doesn't work at all when you had the Mail Shield enabled or it works when it is disabled; there should be no intermittent state. When it doesn't work what is the full text of the error ?

Try deleting all lines in the Mail Shield SSL Accounts and reboot and avast 'should' recreate the entries, report if it does and if the entries are correct (e.g. Encryption set to None and all accounts) ?

~~~
It may be best to do a clean reinstall of avast:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

budema

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
I did all what you propose.

Results :
- connection to upgrade virus database and program doesn't work anymore. I still have as esult that connection to the server failed.
- problem with Outlook express is not solved... uploaden and downloaden of messages from my e-mail provider doesn't work... (waiting time excess)

what can i do ?

budema

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
I changed something in the proxy. I change "automatic detect" by "no proxy". I also made an update via control panel/add remove software and now the connection to the avast server is OK

But i cannot receive my mails...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, you say you have tried everything and it still doesn't work. Unfortunately that doesn't help as there are no error messages reported or the state of the avast settings or answers to the questions I asked.

Without information we are helpless and just guessing.

budema

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:29:43 PM »
i have good news.

I let my computer on for about two hours, and when i came back, avast had filled in the mails parameters / SSL and now it works good...

Everything OK  :) :) :) :) :)

I think that a lot of people have problems with avast 5... maybe a short information notice would help ?

Yogi Bear

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »

"Without information we are helpless and just guessing".

David, I was getting the error message below, since I installed Avast 5.....

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 74.125.77.109:25, SSL_connect error 5', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

I did as you said and unticked the encryption box in Avast Real-Time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts, Encryption column and set the option to "None"
everything works fine.  Select "SSL" and the error message appears for outgoing mail.

But my gmail settings have the "SSL" box ticked. ???

I am wondering if this makes sense ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
I didn't say for you to do that, but for the OP, budema. Your issue is different as gmail requires secure communication

The problem is that you have to uncheck the SSL/encryption in your email program (if OE, Tools, Accounts, as in the image in my reply #4 above) for the gmail account and allow avast to take care of the secure communication.

So you would also need to set the avast settings back to SSL.

Yogi Bear

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
Hi David
Went back to Avast and selected "SSL" on drop down list
Unselected the "SSL" settings in OE, allowing Avast to take over

Running OE6.

But I got the following message:
The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 74.125.79.109:995, SSL_connect error 5', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

What am I doing wrong?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »
Are the ports the same in both the OE email accounts and avast Mail Shield as your errors that you posted are different ports, The first was for SMTP and the second was POP3 but it appears to have two ports.

-ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 74.125.79.109:995, SSL_connect error 5', Port: 110. So it appears that your OR gmail POP port is set to 995 and avast is trying to port 110 or vice versa.