Author Topic: Avast interfereing with network devices  (Read 2691 times)

adriant

Avast interfereing with network devices
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
Toshiba has provided its clients with a program (config free) that can automatically switch between a wired, wireless and modem device, based on their connectivity status.
at my mother's house i'm using a wired network, while at home i have a wireless router. this program is supposed to detect the state of both wired and wireless network adapters, and take appropriate action, switching to the one that can connect to a network.
what i have noticed is that the switch fails repeatedly at system start, until avast displays its message about not being able to complete the database update. only after this message appears, is config free able to perform the switch.
and, since it's taking avast about 2 or 3 minutes to understand that it has no internet access and config free is trying to make the switch every 10 or 15 seconds you can imagine the show that is taking place on my screen, every time the system starts.
is it possible to make avast detect the state of th network that is initialy enabled, at system start, and, in case there is no internet access, to let me enable/disable network devices so i can connect to the internet without having to wait until avast gets the point?
another thing: i cannot use config free to switch the devices even in manual mode!! i am forced to do it via Device Manager, and it's not that comfortable at all ..
thank you!

to be mentioned:
laptop toshiba satellite
windows 7 ultimate
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:19:40 PM by adriant »

CharleyO

Re: Avast interfereing with notwork devices
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »

Welcome to the forums, adriant   :)

Try doing the following :

Open the avast user interface  >  under Summary - Current Status, click on Change Settings  > 

click on Troubleshooting  >  check the box for Load avast! services only after loading other system

services.

See the image below - click it to enlarge it.

Let us know if that fixes the problem for you.

adriant

Re: Avast interfereing with network devices
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
Doesn't work.
This config free is not a system service, but an utility provided by Toshiba and is loaded way after avast takes hold of the system.
My last "adventure" with the autoswitch function gathered 16 warning messages on my desktop, until the switch finally succeded.
So, there must be something else to be done to solve this.
I was thinking of something similar to Yahoo IM's ability to detect the conectivity of the current network connection.
Thanks anyway.

CharleyO

Re: Avast interfereing with network devices
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »

I'm sorry that did not solve your problem. I am not familiar with Toshiba's config free and had no idea it started up much later.

Perhaps someone else will have some idea how to solve this.