Author Topic: avast! 5.0 Free re-installation & re-registration  (Read 7027 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
avast! 5.0 Free re-installation & re-registration
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
I'm on avast! 5 ever since it was released (and before that on all beta versions). But till now i haven't asked this...
With avast! 4.x you had to register and got the unique code. If there was a need to remove avast! and install it again, you could just re-use the code over and over for as long as it was valid. However with avast! 5.x, we don't get any code. The program registers itself automatically.

Now, the thing i'm wondering the most. Is it ok to just re-register and basically obtain new license or is there some other method?
I always use same email and same name, but the license is always staring from the moment i re-register.
Or is all this done internaly based on e-mail that you use and re-registering doesn't flood your registration servers with repeated licenses for the same person. Just a thougt :D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! 5.0 Free re-installation & re-registration
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
If you use the old style off-line registration method were an email is sent with your registration key in it, if you save that email, you should be able to use that after a reinstall to manually enter the key, using the Insert License Key button at the bottom of the avastUI.

So there shouldn't be a need to re-register if the original registration expiration date is still valid.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »
But doing it inside interface is so much more practical...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »
Yes it is, but this is the extract of the question I answered:

Quote from: RejZoR
With avast! 4.x you had to register and got the unique code. If there was a need to remove avast! and install it again, you could just re-use the code over and over for as long as it was valid. However with avast! 5.x, we don't get any code. The program registers itself automatically.

Is it ok to just re-register and basically obtain new license or is there some other method?

You can use the same method as 4.8 in 5.0 - So if you registered using the method of having the key emailed to you (and you retained a copy) then if as you asked when 'reinstalling' and it could be used multiple times whilst it is in date.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security