Author Topic: NEW OFFICIAL Program Update Now Available [5.0.594]  (Read 99651 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: NEW OFFICIAL Program Update Now Available [5.0.594]
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2010, 06:09:35 AM »
It is definitely deceiving you those two tabs weren't there before.

well then it must be my original complaint wen v5 first came out that the scan settings culdnt be changed that i was thinking about while typing that post and the showing of the greyed out options in the newest update re-ignited that complaint of mine.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
Which presumably when you raised that complaint, people will have pointed out the Create Custom Scan button at the bottom to create your own specific custom scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
Which presumably when you raised that complaint, people will have pointed out the Create Custom Scan button at the bottom to create your own specific custom scan.
ye i know i can create a custom scan, im just a bit OCD with these kinda things tho lol and like things to stay neat and clear and creating custom scans irritates me, it wuld be pretty easy to just allow me to choose sensitivity level and such on the default scans, i dont see the downside to allowing those options :/ not like regular users will go rummaging thru settings deep in the interface.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
it wuld be pretty easy to just allow me to choose sensitivity level and such on the default scans, i dont see the downside to allowing those options :/ not like regular users will go rummaging thru settings deep in the interface.
While avast does not have a "reset to default settings" option, I would let the default scanning like they are. Otherwise, users will never understand the help files, compare avast with other antivirus (the comparisons are generally made by "default" settings), etc.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
On this update can i reset the notepad report file for the webshield if so how?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
On this update can i reset the notepad report file for the webshield if so how?
You can try manually, disabling the self defense module of avast (Troubleshooting tab of settings) and going to the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\ folder (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log\).

Dch48

« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:31 PM »
it wuld be pretty easy to just allow me to choose sensitivity level and such on the default scans, i dont see the downside to allowing those options :/ not like regular users will go rummaging thru settings deep in the interface.
While avast does not have a "reset to default settings" option, I would let the default scanning like they are. Otherwise, users will never understand the help files, compare avast with other antivirus (the comparisons are generally made by "default" settings), etc.
Not to mention that letting the users mess with the settings of the default scans would exponentially increase the difficulty in troubleshooting problems with them. It would create a nightmare for the developers. If you want different settings, you have the ability to create them in a custom scan.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2010, 04:31:30 AM »
Not to mention that letting the users mess with the settings of the default scans would exponentially increase the difficulty in troubleshooting problems with them. It would create a nightmare for the developers. If you want different settings, you have the ability to create them in a custom scan.

well following that same logic, wuldnt that create hell for devs with anyone using a custom scan? so shuld they take away even that? lol... ive yet to see anyone in my everyday life say how they went thru their AV's settings fooling around with everything, most people leave it as is and never look at their AV again, so really it just hinders the people that want this ability (like me)

Dch48

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2010, 04:58:26 AM »

well following that same logic, wuldnt that create hell for devs with anyone using a custom scan? so shuld they take away even that?

Not really since the developers could tell the person to run a default scan and see if that works okay. Then if it does, some potential causes would be eliminated and they can get down to asking what the settings of the custom scan were that differ from the defaults. With the old version, the default settings did not show so the user would not know what they did that was different. 

If the problem was with the default scan then they would know what to check without even having to ask. If the user was able to change those defaults, then that would create more problems.

The real point is that they didn't take anything away. You never could change the settings for the default scans and didn't even have a way to know what they were.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »

well following that same logic, wuldnt that create hell for devs with anyone using a custom scan? so shuld they take away even that?

The real point is that they didn't take anything away. You never could change the settings for the default scans and didn't even have a way to know what they were.

and thats not my real problem.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
Finally updated to 5.0 avast on my Xp laptop(It's way better than my old avast 4.8). I had to pay another 40 bucks for my avast pro, but it has been well worth it.

Keep up the good work Avast team. 
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

sonja

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
I have just run the update and done the Pc restart. Avast now seems to be stopping my Outlook from opening any suggestions?
Sonja

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
I think Outlook with the command line /resetnavpane will do the job.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

sonja

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
Thanks I will try that.

Offline ChrysZ

« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
Since installing Internet Security I've experienced a big slow down in my internet speed.

I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 (Home Premium) on my PC. I made no changes to the security settings in Win7 (Defender, Firewall, Malicious Tools). I tested the speed at 56Mbps (no applications installed other than what was installed from the installation disk). I then installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware application. I retested and got 56Mbps. I then installed Avast Internet Security. I made no changes to any of the settings in AIS and my internet speed dropped to 18Mbps. What changes can I make to get my speed up to 56Mbps? Should I turn off Windows security settings or adjust them to make them more compatible with AIS? Thanks

(PS. I have not installed an email client yet - still looking for something smaller than MS Outlook.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:54:36 PM by ChrysZ »