Author Topic: Installed latest update - now my computer won't boot. Please help  (Read 2044 times)

adifrank

Hi. I have the latest version of Avast antivirus (FREE version) installed on my desktop computer, running Windows XP Pro (SP3). About 10 minutes ago I got an Avast pop-up message saying that there is an update for me to install. So I clicked INSTALL NOW and it started the installation of new virus definitions. When it had completed it said I must restart my computer for the update to take affect. So I did. But my computer won't successfully reboot! It won't even get to the Windows XP page. It shows the Asus motherboard page (with option to enter bios), then the screen goes blank and I see a flashing cursor in the left-top corner of the screen. Thats it! It is stuck there and won't continue. I tried forcing the computer off and then powering it on again - but same results.

What to do?? Any ideas??

adifrank

Re: Installed latest update - now my computer won't boot. Please help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »
PLEASE IGNORE - Computer is up and running again. I have no idea what happened or how it suddenly started working again. After trying to reboot several times and failing, I tried yet once more and somehow this time it succeeded. Thanks and sorry for the false alarm.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Installed latest update - now my computer won't boot. Please help
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »
don't worry about reporting thinks like that. good call you did. and good its solved for you now.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM