Author Topic: Is Avast blocking my Facebook email notifications?  (Read 5873 times)

kahits

Is Avast blocking my Facebook email notifications?
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »
I use Facebook a lot and depend on my Yahoo email to notify me of new Facebook posts for discussions I'm involved with. That way I can check into Facebook frequently and go exactly where I want to go.

However, I haven't received ANY of these email notifications since I upgraded my Avast last week (from the free 4.8 version to the paid 5.0 version). Is Avast blocking these?

I tried the following:

-- I checked the firewall (my computer is at home, so I reduced the risk level from Work/Medium Risk to Home/Low Risk)
-- I checked the blacklisted items to see what was blocked (nothing was listed, so I did nothing)
-- I checked the whitelisted items (I added the domain names for the type of Facebook notifications I want to receive).

I don't know what else to do -- HELP!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Is Avast blocking my Facebook email notifications?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »
How do you read your Yahoo mail ?
Using web (your browser) or a mail program like Outlook express ?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:36:43 PM by Pondus »

kahits

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
How do you read your Yahoo mail ?
Using web (your browser) or a mail program like Outlook express ?

Using my web browser.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
If you are using web mail....you go to www.yahoo.com and log in ?
then avast is not scanning your mail, see the yahoo spam folder...

kahits

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
If you are using web mail....you go to www.yahoo.com and log in ?
then avast is not scanning your mail, see the yahoo spam folder...

I stay logged into Yahoo all the time (I'm the only person on my computer -- every 2 weeks they ask me to re-login).

I'll check, but that doesn't make sense that I would stop receiving ONLY those emails on the very same day that I upgraded my AVAST!!

kahits

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

I checked my Yahoo account and there is nothing in my spam folder for the entire last week -- during that week, I should have had about 25-30 notification emails from Facebook.

I did check my Facebook settings a few times this week and my settings are OK. I also wrote to Facebook a few days ago and checked their FAQ help page, but the problem doesn't seem to be Facebook.

So if the problem isn't FB, and it's not my Yahoo spam filters, I thought maybe the problem was with AVAST -- these emails stopped coming at the same time I upgraded my AVAST. Is that possible??

demonix00

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »
No it isn't since I suspect that yahoo has gotten a lot of spam notifications for e-mails from FB and have responded by doing a total block on all e-mails from them and no number of filters will work untill yahoo lifts the block.

kahits

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:24 AM »
Thanks, Demonix (sorry for not replying earlier -- I was out of town!)

I'll write to the Yahoo administrator, but wouldn't you think if Yahoo were suddenly blocking my emails from FB that they would show up in my spam folder? It's empty!

demonix00

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
but wouldn't you think if Yahoo were suddenly blocking my emails from FB that they would show up in my spam folder? It's empty!

They would if they only had a few spam reports but if they had a large amount of spam reports then they would respond with a complete and total block of all e-mails from that domain for a specific time, but I actually suggest you get another e-mail account with another provider (like google who don't have such anal spam blocking rules) and change the e-mail address in you facebook account to that one.