Author Topic: Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594  (Read 3080 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mdg1943

  • Guest
Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
I was unable to log into my Thunderbird email account this morning. The only solution was to turn off mail shield.  Once it was turned off
I was able to login.  Everything was working last night.  I've used Avast for years recommended to many others, this is the first problem I've
encountered.  Any suggestions?

The answer it partially correct; once you have changed T/Bird you must then delete the mail shield entrees in Avast, shut Avast
down completely and the restart it; works great after that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:35:21 AM by mdg1943 »

k.u.r.t

  • Guest
Re: Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
You need to turn off SSL in Thunderbird and set it up in Mail Shield settings instead. Avast will act as a proxy for all outgoing/incoming mail. See http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

marto

  • Guest
Re: Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
Hi, I have the same problem since my last Avast update (I've been using both TB and Avast for years). But in my case, my account is pop3, port 110, and non-ssl. So I guess that I don't have to list it in the Mail shield settings / SSL accounts, as it is adviced in its own window. Anyway, I follow the instructions presented in this posts, but without success.
I only get my mail by stopping the shield. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hermite15

  • Guest
Re: Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:01:13 PM »
just correct the entries in Avast mail shield settings, like put them back to 110 and 25 if they got mistakenly set to ssl ports.

marto

  • Guest
Re: Thunderbird 3.1 fails with Avast 5.0.594
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
Thanks Logos. I've already done that, and no way. But accidentally I've found the solution: apparently my ISP changed its name (from Telefonica to Movistar), and did so with its servers names, but mainteined the old name of our hosts (I guess by a mask, a redirectioning or something like that). So I changed the settings in my Avast shield (hostname: movistar.es) but keeping the same hostname in Tbird (telefonica.net). By now, I can get my mail without problems. Therefore, for those who don't find a "normal" solution, keep your ISP on mind.