Author Topic: [Resolved] Avast Security Suite Upgrade/Install/Sandbox  (Read 7544 times)

_Rej_

[Resolved] Avast Security Suite Upgrade/Install/Sandbox
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
Hi,

Update:  After 3 weeks of testing, I can safely say that Flash will NOT load 75% of the time everytime I start Firefox in Sandbox mode. (Never an issue with Sandboxie btw).

I'm using Avast Suite (Internet Security) 5.0.594
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Shockwave Flash v 10.1.53.64
Firefox v 3.6.6

First, after using avast free for 4-5 years, I've decided to buy a 2 year license (Suite) to show my support :).   LOVE the new interface, the transparency of the application, ease of use.  Congrats.. you guys are really on the right track here.

However, I've encountered some issues which I thought you guys should know about.

(A)
In the Email and website page that showed up after the purchase, it mentioned that if I already had avast 5, I just needed to add the license file to upgrade.   Every time I did this, it would tell me it was upgrading/updating the software, BUT looking at the license info, it was still for the free version (no firewall, still same expiry date as the free version etc etc).  I tried this 3 times, with boots each time.  It just never worked.

So, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled the one mentioned in the link provided.  I now have the correct version (suite) with the firewall/sandbox :)

(B)
However, the first time my computer booted after the new installation, Windows 7 mentioned that I didn't have a genuine version of Windows before showing me the desktop.  I canceled this windows message to continue, updated Avast 5 (it did it by itself) to the latest version and when I rebooted, I did NOT get the genuine message again... so it seems to have been a glitch but I thought worth mentioning.  (To recap, after installing the purchased version of Avast 5 suite, on the first reboot, I get a message that Win7 isn't genuine which it is).  -- Note that I reconfirmed on the Microsoft website that my version is indeed genuine so the problem is gone.  It just got me worried for a bit ;).  And I don't know why it did that in the first place.  Note that I *never* got this genuine message before this.

(C)
Now the issue if have (see update at the beginning of this post) is that I can't make Firefox work with the latest flash player if I use the sandbox.  I've tried it 20 times with different settings without avail.  How am I supposed to make it work?

Message I get when Flash isn't working... "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. " and there's a bar on top of Firefox indicating that "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page."

Here's what I did to test... Test site YouTube (and others).

1) Sanbox internet access - Allow all virtualized applications to access the internet
    Parameters - Web Browsers - Bookmarks, History and Cookies checked
    Firefox Sandboxed -- Flash NOT working
    Firefox outside sandbox -- Flash Working

2) changed Parameters to All Settings..
    Same results... Flash will not work within the sandbox, but will work outside the sandbox.

3) Variations of the above with same results.

I'd really like to know how to make it work... I even tried to add the process NPSWF32.dll to the list of allowed process to access the internet without it making any differences.

Any help on this is really appreciated :)

Regards,

Rej

P.S. Flash now works *sometimes*.   The first time flash worked 2 or 3 times in a row in Firefox while in Sandbox I thought the problem had fixed itself  but after 3 weeks now, I'm realizing it's not working well at all (about 75% failure rate).   I've uninstalled & reinstalled both Flash & Firefox using their tools without changes.   Hope you guys fix this as I prefer the way your Sandbox works than Sandboxie -- I even removed sanboxie a few weeks ago to force myself to use only yours, but now I"m reconsidering.. specially since it seems almost nobody have the issue -- is it my setup that creates the bug?  Also, is this a known bug by Avast developers?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:39:51 PM by _Rej_ »

Gargamel360

Re: Avast Security Suite Upgrade/Install/Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:44 AM »
By "now it is working" you mean Flash started, I take it?

I have had a continuous issue of Flash not loading when my Firefox is sandboxed, it happens about 20% of the time I start Firefox up.

I have always just closed it/re-ran it until it appears.  Is it other elements besides Flash that vanish also? 
When this happens, other plug-ins such as Silverlight also vanish in my browser, not just Flash.
Also have not tried to see if the issue is still there since the new version came out as I only updated earlier today,
but I imagine it will be.

As to why it does it, that I do not know. 

_Rej_

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I mean flash is now loading and playing the videos.

I haven't tested if other addons were having issues when flash did.  If ever it happens again,  I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks for replying and the info you provided.

Regards,

Rej

_Rej_

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:49:39 AM »
After 2 weeks of playing around with FF in Sandbox & Flash I can report that I'm having the same issue as you are... meaning that Flash will NOT load 75% of the time I start FF in Sandbox. (Never had any issues with Sandboxie which I might reinstall if this isn't taken up by the developers).

So, my question is this:  Do the developers know about this issue?  Check first post for details.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

R

P.S. I'm experiencing this problem with Firefox versions 3.6.4, 3.6.6 AND 4.b1 (beta 1)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:09:46 AM by _Rej_ »

Jon_T

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »
...So, my question is this:  Do the developers know about this issue?  Check first post for details.
They should -- seen posts before with similar issues along with the issue of no video sound when Fx or IE 8 sandboxed posted at:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61398.0
Submitted a ticket at the avast! Support Center several days ago and have not yet received a reply.  ::)

Luckily as noted in the above referenced post this is the only problem I've experienced with avast! 5 IS.  Can understand the frustration of those who purchased Pro or IS that are/were experiencing major problems with avast! without receiving any help in a timely matter (i.e., IHMO for paid license users response to a support ticket should be within three [3] business days).

GloobyGoob

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:28:22 AM »
...So, my question is this:  Do the developers know about this issue?  Check first post for details.

If you want to contact the developer of the avast Sandbox, here's his profile (pk).

_Rej_

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.

This reminded me that I hadn't submitted a ticket (which I will do after this)  :P

I'm not sure if we're allowed to send private EMails to devs (from the profile) so I'll wait a few days after the ticket submission to see if they reply or not.

Regards,

Rej

P.S. Submitted a ticket just now.  Let's see how it goes (I provided a link to this thread as well).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:45:27 PM by _Rej_ »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
I have just send Petr an email about this topic.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

_Rej_

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
Still no replies on this subject yet .. here or the ticket I posted 4 weeks ago  :( .

Any news from the devs on this?

Regards,

R

_Rej_

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
The flash issue is fixed with the beta version 5.0.661.  In other words, Flash will always work with Firefox in Sandbox now.  Not sure about the other issues mentioned in first post, but this was the major annoyance I had so I'm pretty satisfied right now  ;D

Thanks!

Regards...

R

[Resolved]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:41:36 PM by _Rej_ »