Author Topic: ** Solved ** Downloaded update is corrupted.  (Read 7623 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Neuromancer70

  • Guest
** Solved ** Downloaded update is corrupted.
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:02 AM »
I've been using Avast! 1.3 Home Edition for Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit for weeks now and had no trouble with virus definition updates until today.  I get the corrupt download update repeatedly.  Is anyone else getting this?  My rcS file is still in /etc/init.d.  

** Update **
Okay.  Problem appears to be solved.  Thanks to zilog for leading me in the right direction by suggesting the vps was being truncated.  As I mentioned, the corrupted updates started occurring when I installed Privoxy, which is a proxy server with built-in adblock filtering.  I use Google Chrome as my primary browser.  In the Chrome proxy settings, I opted to apply the changes system-wide...This modified the gconf settings, applying the new proxy setting to package installs (and probably avast! vps updates).  As soon as I changed system-wide settings back to direct-connect (and rebooted), the avast! update problems went away.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:24:11 PM by Neuromancer70 »

Neuromancer70

  • Guest
Re: Downloaded update is corrupted.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
59 views and no replys.  I guess I'm the only one and I'm on my own.  In the same day the corruption messages appeared, I installed Privoxy along with several package updates from the main repositories.  There's no telling if one of those broke avast!  I'll have to re-install avast! from the debian package.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to switch to a different virus scanner.  Avira Antivirus never gave me problems on MS Windows.

Offline zilog

  • Moderator
  • Advanced Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 957
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Downloaded update is corrupted.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
59 views and no replys.  I guess I'm the only one and I'm on my own.  In the same day the corruption messages appeared, I installed Privoxy along with several package updates from the main repositories.  There's no telling if one of those broke avast!  I'll have to re-install avast! from the debian package.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to switch to a different virus scanner.  Avira Antivirus never gave me problems on MS Windows.

Hallo,
just download the 400.vps, and compare with its 400vps.md5 (both files are online aqt http://files.avast.com/files/latest/). probaqbly, something is truncating your file.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Neuromancer70

  • Guest
Re: Downloaded update is corrupted.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
Hallo,
just download the 400.vps, and compare with its 400vps.md5 (both files are online aqt http://files.avast.com/files/latest/). probaqbly, something is truncating your file.

regards,
pc

Thanks but your link appears to be broken.  Page not found.  I did some further searching and haven't found a direct download link from the website for virus definitions.

Something is truncating my file?  I'm not running the vps-update through Privoxy, unless avast relies on my browser proxy settings.  Even so, I don't think Privoxy would touch virus definition files.

**update**
I managed to successfully update the database from avast! in 1 out of 11 tries.  Corrupt update files are still an issue.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:42:33 PM by Neuromancer70 »

Neuromancer70

  • Guest
Re: Downloaded update is corrupted.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »
Okay.  Problem appears to be solved.  Thanks, zilog for leading me in the right direction by suggesting the vps was being truncated.  As I mentioned, the corrupted updates started occurring when I installed Privoxy, which is a proxy server with built-in adblock filtering.  I use Google Chrome as my primary browser.  In the Chrome proxy settings, I opted to apply the changes system-wide...This modified the gconf settings, applying the new proxy setting to package installs (and probably avast! vps updates).  As soon as I changed system-wide settings back to direct-connect (and rebooted), the avast! update problems went away.