Author Topic: Uninstall Avast! without a license.  (Read 10196 times)

Nothus

Uninstall Avast! without a license.
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »
Hi,

I apologize if this question has been answered already within these fora, but my perusal turned up nothing for me.

As my subject states, I'm trying to uninstall Avast! from my Mac, but I am not able to follow the rather clear steps listed in various other topics on the issue (i.e., go within the Preferences menu and adjust persistence settings and the like). My trial license has expired, and I am no longer able to access Preferences as a result. The only way I can find to get a new license is to subscribe---which would defeat the entire purpose of uninstalling.

What am I missing? It's late, and I've had little sleep. I apologize if I'm missing something simple, but I appreciate any help anybody here can offer.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Uninstall Avast! without a license.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
Hi,

I apologize if this question has been answered already within these fora, but my perusal turned up nothing for me.

As my subject states, I'm trying to uninstall Avast! from my Mac, but I am not able to follow the rather clear steps listed in various other topics on the issue (i.e., go within the Preferences menu and adjust persistence settings and the like). My trial license has expired, and I am no longer able to access Preferences as a result. The only way I can find to get a new license is to subscribe---which would defeat the entire purpose of uninstalling.

What am I missing? It's late, and I've had little sleep. I apologize if I'm missing something simple, but I appreciate any help anybody here can offer.

Hallo,
there's a quit button in the license-expired window, or not?
Anyway, you can get rid of avast in a cruel way - just delte it from /Applications. And, when it's running, use apple-alt-esc to get into force-quit dialog, and then, delete it.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

SAFENSECURE

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »
Hello,

I was able to get by the error message when trying to update my AVAST engine on Ubuntu 9.10.

Make sure you are in your home directory by typing pwd. Next, type ls -a; which should show all hidden files/directories.
Then navigate to the avast directory (cd .avast), you will see the following file name 400.VPS. Remove this file. There seems to be a size limitation or something. You may have to do this with root or sudo.

After removing the 400.vps file from the hard drive, I was then able to launch the Avast Application and run an update.

Thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
Hello,

I was able to get by the error message when trying to update my AVAST engine on Ubuntu 9.10.

Make sure you are in your home directory by typing pwd. Next, type ls -a; which should show all hidden files/directories.
Then navigate to the avast directory (cd .avast), you will see the following file name 400.VPS. Remove this file. There seems to be a size limitation or something. You may have to do this with root or sudo.

After removing the 400.vps file from the hard drive, I was then able to launch the Avast Application and run an update.

Thanks

OK, but the question was about Mac :). Ubuntu is an african word for "it doesn't work" :).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

obavtorips

Uninstall Avast without a lic
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
Hi

I dont think there is other procedure to uninstall.
Just bring down all the apps and sb services and remove the files using rm -rf command which will take time according to ur RAM size.

Thanks
Murali