Author Topic: Sandboxing  (Read 3256 times)

arminpq

Sandboxing
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
I have Avast! 5 Internet Security, and Immunet Protect version 2 FREE that assist AVAST!
I have Google Chrome as Web Browser, should I run Google Chrome in Sandbox all the time? And when I download lets say, a .zip file inside Google Chrome, will the .zip file also be sandboxed from the system?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Sandboxing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
Hi,

You can run google chrome always in the sandbox. Well, I would do that. Because, there are always malicious ads being served on the websites- yes, even on a few reliable websites and if you are on sandbox, nothing is going to affect you. Ads which link to fake antiviruses.

But, you really should consider chrome running outside the sandbox if you are trying to update it or trying to save any configuration.

Files:

This depends on the setting in the sandbox settings. If you change the setting in such a way that nothing is allowed to write on to your folders, sandbox will not save it. Else, it will. I use the free version so I can't tell you the right setting. But i'm damn sure the setting is there - not to allow files to be saved(I have used the trial version of avast! and I have tested the sandbox,also). But I can give you the link : One of the forum members have done a test on sandbox. In that video you can see that setting. Hope you will find it : http://www.screencast.com/t/ZTEzM2NkNGUt

nmb
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:34:48 PM by nmb »

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
Hi there,

@ nmb, sorry the video is now found here (or in my sig).
@ arminpq, if you want to have downloaded files sandboxed, you have to open up the avast user interface, go to the real-time shields tab, then the process virtualization tab, expert settings, and uncheck the first option like in my video. Or see the screenshot below.

Hope this helps :)

arminpq

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »
Okay thanks, I found it. Should I now just run Google Chrome Sandboxed all the time.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Yes, you can do that.

arminpq

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
Thanks.

arminpq

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »
GloobyGoob, give me some info how Avast! Sandbox feature works. Thanks.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:03:41 AM »
The Sandbox isolates files in a safe, virtual environment. To put it in simple terms, think of it like a box. Lets take the web browser for example. When you run a sandboxed browser, malware that is executed is trapped in that "box" and cannot leave it to enter your main system. You have to remember that it is not like a shield, it doesn't block malware, they can still run inside the sandbox (but can't touch your real computer). When you close the web browser, the sandbox is "flushed"; all of its contents (including the malware collected, if any) are deleted. So Sandboxing is a nice way to stay protected, even undetected threats can't get through. I hope this helps ;)

Also, this might help you understand it a bit better (from avast Security Center)
avast! security solutions use multi-layered protection – just like today’s passenger car with seat belts, airbags, antilock brakes, collision-radar warnings, and more. The more security precautions, the better for your safety.

Imagine that you could avoid “accidents” by driving in a virtual car or driving simulator. Your avast! product contains a unique feature - the avast! Sandbox for virtual web browsing - which offers just that. Even when the worst comes, only the virtual computer will be infected – and not your real computer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:08:05 AM by GloobyGoob »