Author Topic: Web Shield Issue  (Read 5545 times)

Eequalsmc2

Web Shield Issue
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:41:23 AM »
Hello!
With the latest version (5.0.594) I started to experience a problem (browsing speed slowdown) with Web Shield.

I updated previous testing version (5.0.590) via Online, just to find out that after a PC boot Web Shield failed to start/work. I tried everything (offline/online/clean/Safe Mode,... install) just to find out after 3 hours that Online Armor Free 4 causes it. So, I reinstalled OA Free and Web Shield started to work properly. But when I opened my browsers (Opera & FF), I realized that the browsing speed went down to a crawl!

Only with a disabled Web Shield the browsing speed went back to normal. So, in the end, I was forced to reinstall avast! without it.

This is the first time I experienced any issue with avast! Free since the launch of v5 (I was using each Final & Testing version). I'm using the same apps all the time, so the problem must be in avast! AV itself.

Any ideas?

Keep up with the excellent work you do & enjoy!

P.S.:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
- real time apps: avast! AV Free 5, Online Armor Free 4, Cacheman 7, cFosSpeed & Internet Download Manager

SafeSurf

Re: Web Shield Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
1. Do you have everything (AV and FW) as trusted exclusions?
2. Did you check in OA that nothing is being blocked for avast?  Uncheck "Hidden" in OA and double check.
3. Do you have anything in your FW listed in Safe Mode as this may slow your surfing speed down?
4. After uninstalls and installs, I always boot twice for the drivers and registries...just something to think about in the future that may help.
5. When you did your uninstall of Avast, did you do it the way Avast recommends?
6. What other security software do you have on your machine?

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »
I have as well, I made a topic last version and now the issue is present in this latest update

I have Comodo firewall though

this issue was previously affecting my computer when it was 5.0.545 and has returned again

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59626.msg507690#msg507690
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:19:57 PM by sanctuaryforever »

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »
@ sanctuaryforever,

What build of Avast are you currently using now?  If you have 594, did you upgrade or do a clean install?

What other security software do you have on your machine?

Have you checked your FW to make sure nothing is being blocked for Avast?

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
@ sanctuaryforever,

What build of Avast are you currently using now?  If you have 594, did you upgrade or do a clean install?

What other security software do you have on your machine?

Have you checked your FW to make sure nothing is being blocked for Avast?

The latest one 594, updated from within the program (however last time I did a clean install the issue remained and then seemed to resolve itself after a few days but I cant just wait for that to happen incase I get a virus in the mean time)

Just my firewall and Avast

I tried removing entries in my firewall to get it to relearn them but it doesnt seem to remedy the problem

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
When you did your uninstall of Avast, did you also uninstall version 4.0 and 5.0 in Safe Mode?  I know you have done several uninstalls/installs, but it is possible that you have remnants of older versions that could be causing the conflict.  I would do a CLEAN install of build 594 to see if this resolves your problem.  Make sure you reboot your machine after the install...I suggest 2 boots and make sure you have your AV and FW as trusted exclusions.

If you have done this already, then you need to check your FW for issues causing your conflict.  This usually causes the slow surfing.  BTW, please list your FW in your signature so others can help you as well.  I am not familiar with your FW, but do you have a web shield in it that you can disable to see if this helps?  You have disabled the AV in your FW...correct?

Eequalsmc2

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
When you did your uninstall of Avast, did you also uninstall version 4.0 and 5.0 in Safe Mode?  I know you have done several uninstalls/installs, but it is possible that you have remnants of older versions that could be causing the conflict.  I would do a CLEAN install of build 594 to see if this resolves your problem.  Make sure you reboot your machine after the install...I suggest 2 boots and make sure you have your AV and FW as trusted exclusions.

If you have done this already, then you need to check your FW for issues causing your conflict.  This usually causes the slow surfing.  BTW, please list your FW in your signature so others can help you as well.  I am not familiar with your FW, but do you have a web shield in it that you can disable to see if this helps?  You have disabled the AV in your FW...correct?
'till the latest version (before I used 5.0.0.590 Pre Release) everything worked normally.

I was using avast! Free 5 & Online Armor Free 4 for months without the slightest issue. Oh, yes, I had an issue few months ago when I installed Online Armor Free for the first time. The network at PC boot freezed, 'caused by the issue in OA Exlusion procedure. Anyway, I solved it in a few days.

I also use cFosSpeed, Internet Download Manager & Cacheman 7 on 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Anyway, everything worked normally for months 'till the latest avast! update. So the issue must be there.

I tried literally everything, but the browsing speed turned to a crawl.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter to much. I installed avast! without Web Shield. Everything works normal again and the security wasn't compromised.

COMMON SENSE is still the best protection!

Thanks & enjoy!

I'll wait till the next avast! update...

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »
OA will give you the HIPS protection if you turned off the Avast Web Shield but they are not exactly the same.

I still think something is wrong.  But as long as things are working fine for you now and you are happy and using common sense, then leave it at that.  Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
I dug deep in my firewall and purged all the old entries (must have missed some previously) and now it works fully although this was even before it relearned the entries (odd?) will update if it returns some how, hope others have similar success with getting things working, thanks again to all members who helped

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
@ sanctuaryforever,

I'm glad things are working for you.  Let us know if there is anything else you might need in the future.   :)

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
@ sanctuaryforever,

I'm glad things are working for you.  Let us know if there is anything else you might need in the future.   :)

thankyou for your help

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Web Shield Issue
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »
You're welcome  :)