Author Topic: Virus question  (Read 3684 times)

CatWaffles

Virus question
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
My cousin got a virus just by opening firefox. Is that possible? Her homepage is youtube and she barely turned on the computer.

It was a Trojan and avast couldn't process it when she tried to delete, move to chest, and it kept popping back up if you put no action.

I told her to do a boot scan and there was the Trojan. We decided to delete it since all the other options didn't work. Found another one that was probably the same one because none of the options worked except "ignore".

Other actions we tried:
- Spybot S&D wouldn't open
- Avast could not open because memory is infected
- Malware Bytes wouldn't open

Hopefully it will be sorted out. But I still wonder, is it really that easy to just get a virus out of nowhere? She even ran a scan the day before and said everything was that day until this day.

(Running Windows XP) 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »
My cousin got a virus just by opening firefox. Is that possible? Her homepage is youtube and she barely turned on the computer.
Don`t think so..... ???....what was the malware name detected ? and where was it found.....c:/windows/ ? ? ?

CatWaffles

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »
Don`t think so..... ???....what was the malware name detected ? and where was it found.....c:/windows/ ? ? ?

It is just named Trojan Horse and was found in the windows32 folders. I'm thinking of just reformatting the hard drive since now I can't even open firefox. But now I can't even find the dang disc! I'm suggesting to her that she should just get another decent computer for like $400 or something.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »
Before you consider reformating your computer, try using Hitman Pro.

How to Start Hitman Pro in Force Breach Mode

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
A very common way to transfer malware is by use of a flash drive.
Ring any bells?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CatWaffles

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »
Before you consider reformating your computer, try using Hitman Pro.

Ah sorry for late reply, I was looking for the OS disc all day and forgot about this thread. I'll keep it in mind if I run out of options (probably already have).

A very common way to transfer malware is by use of a flash drive.
Ring any bells?

I don't think neither of us have one but I'll go buy one if Jtaylor's suggestion does not work. I think the trojan would have multiplied like crazy by now though...

guphnw

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
Hi this is CatWaffles on my cousins account.

I got the specific details on the virus and stuff so here you go:

Location - C:/WINDOWS.0\SYSTEM32\UXTHEME.DLL
Malware Name: Win32:Patched-PX [Trj]
Malware Type: Trojan Horse
100630-1.06/30/2010

CatWaffles

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »
Before you consider reformatting your computer, try using Hitman Pro.

I used it but I don't think it fixed all of the problems. There's two sides on this computer, English side for well...English people, and Chinese side for their parents. The only way I could run hitman pro was if I used the English side. I found like 207 problems and they were all repaired but I'm checking now if the Chinese side is okay.

----------------------------EDIT--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just came back from the "chinese" side and avast is still detecting the Trojan. Can't reformat either because we can't find the Windows XP disc.

I think I'm just going to blow up this comp and get another one.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:33:40 PM by CatWaffles »