Author Topic: Adobe weird prompt when opening pdf in browser (ff 3.6)  (Read 8544 times)

Hermite15

Adobe weird prompt when opening pdf in browser (ff 3.6)
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
just got that a few minutes ago; never had such a prompt in the past. Not even sure that really came from Adobe... well it should. Anyway I can hardly explain it. All my adobe programs are up to date, flash player and reader included. See screen shot. I attempted to load the same pdf again and didn't have the prompt again. Here's the link, picked up on another forum:
hxxp://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf

I dismisses the install of anything (realizing I should have closed the browser instead of clicking "no" ::) ) ... anyway, I cleaned my temp files, rebooted, quic scanned with MBAM and it seems there's nothing. Or could the alert just be related to the certificate in the pdf, and prompted me to change automatically the restrictions in reader?

ps: off topic here for weeks now FF 3.6 plugin update page is prompting me to update shockwave for director and my version is already the latest one ::) .. also, anyone knows why Firefox keeps calling flash player plugin "shockwave flash" ???
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:43:13 PM by Logos »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Adobe weird prompt when opening pdf in browser (ff 3.6)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
Nothing here........but i use Foxit reader..... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »
I avoid opening .pdf files in the browser as this is one area that can be exploited. I download the .pdf and then open it directly with my pdf reader, also FoxIt PDF reader.

So your notice from FF may recognise the adobe plug-in has a security update and displaying the notice ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
I avoid opening .pdf files in the browser as this is one area that can be exploited. I download the .pdf and then open it directly with my pdf reader, also FoxIt PDF reader.

So your notice from FF may recognise the adobe plug-in has a security update and displaying the notice ???

could have been so but there's no update to do and none has been done automatically either...

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
ZOOM ZOOM on Opera 10.51  :P

I am using Foxit, I find this interesting.

Maybe some hacker is enticing you to download his program which is masquerading as a Adobe security update

Or maybe it is legal   ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
Logos

I think this is a new feature of Firefox

called

Outdated Plug-In Detection

You may visit

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

and see if there is really a security update

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
Logos

I think this is a new feature of Firefox

called

Outdated Plug-In Detection

You may visit

there's no update (Adobe reader), checked already before posting this thread ;)
 Also, as I added as ps in my first post, there's a bug with the "shockwave plugin" in FF checking process, I just posted about it @ MozillaZine and someone told me that was a known bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=546727

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
You may visit

I can't say that this service is reliable. I used it and was told that my Shockwave plug-in needs updating. But when I visited Shocwave's site and compared the latest version's number with the version number in my Firefox, I saw that my version is already the latest.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
Bug

lbeck

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
I'm having a different but similar problem with Adobe/Avast nad it is almost certainly due to Avast.  I'm a Vista user and whenever I open Internet Explorer I get a message something about updating Adobe, yes or no.  I click "no" and the message reappears.  Clicking "no" doesn't get rid of it except for a few seconds.  There also is a box "Do not show this message again." I click that, and the message continues to appear.  I click "yes" thinking that the nag will go away, and the message continues.  It will eventually quit but then reappears the next time that I start IE.

The reason that I strongly suspect Avast is that is the only thing that I have changed on my computer.  I'm a first-time user of Avast (discontinued McAfee).  I came to this forum hoping for an answer and find from searching Avast AND Adobe that there have been several problems with this association.  If I can't find a solution then I'll be forced to uninstall Avast and try to reset my computer to a restore point prior to the installation.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »
@ lbeck: that's an old thread, you should have started a new one; okay doesn't matter anyway the prompt that you got seems similar to the one I had. I still have no idea where it came from. How can you relate that to Avast ??? It's not avast related at all; there must be something wrong going on between Adobe and IE add-ons interface.
 Whatever it is, I didn't have that problem again for ages, probably because both Adobe reader and flash player have been updated to new versions in the mean time. The fact that you see it happen now that you installed Avast is hazard. Avast doesn't interfere with these sort of things, doesn't make sense. Check your Adobe versions and update if necessary. Hope that helps.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
Logos,

Adobe now does not allow users to work an outdated version, so they enforce you to patch at start-up:
http://secunia.com/blog/58/

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

lbeck

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  Sorry to post on an old thread but my typical protocol is to do a search and if there is a similar problem to hitch onto that thread rather than to start a new one.

I agree that it could possibly be a coincidence that the Adobe nag began the moment that I installed Avast, but I use IE all the time and never saw the nag until the moment that I installed Avast.  Also, my search on this forum for adobe produced quite a few returns, so I assumed that there must be some ongoing conflict with Avast.
What I'll do:

1.  I'll start a new thread with screen capture if I continue to have the problem  :)
2.  I'll do as suggested and make sure that I have the latest from Adobe (even though checking the "yes" to install didn't install anything or remove the nag)

Thanks to you both for responding.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:55:20 PM by lbeck »

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
@ lbeck,

As already suggested to you, your problem is not Avast-related.  Check for insecure software applications with  http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ to update insecure applications.  A lot of us use this regularly to keep our software up to date and more secure.