Author Topic: Avast doing well?  (Read 4568 times)

sw

Avast doing well?
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
Well, in the past ( still going ) I have heard a lot of good things about avast free antivirus and even the whole company.
However, recently a website that I came across is begining to make me change my views about avast. Is it really competent?
I began to doubt that.
In the antivirus test, avast did so badly.
I have no idea why is that? Is avast really that bad?

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

cvsa

Re: Avast doing well?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
matousec is not an antivirus test  ;D    it's a proactive security challenge....

as an AV avast v5 can be trusted. It's a pretty good av (certainly not the best , sorry fanboys...) But good enough for a "normal"  computer activity (I mean not too risky...)

my2cents  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:32:59 PM by cvsa »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
Anything from matousec.com can be believed  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
Gizmo criticizes the Matousec's tests. It's a technical reading, but seems fair (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/matousec-personal-firewall-tests-analyzed.htm).
Others point to an interest conflict on Matousec's tests, reducing their independence (?) (http://smokeys.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/matousecs-firewall-challenge-wrinkle-conflict-of-interests/).
The best things in life are free.

cvsa

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
i don't say matousec is wrong  ::) i just say that SW posted about Avast Antivirus and quoted Matousec that tested avast Security suite... wich is not the same....  ;)  Matousec mostly  tests FW leaks  and Hips.... not AV.

I was answering about avast antivirus .

sw

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
please do not get me wrong, I was just worried about avast and my online security. And at the same time wondering why those how the security suites from comodo and kaspersky managed to do so well.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
please do not get me wrong, I was just worried about avast and my online security. And at the same time wondering why those how the security suites from comodo and kaspersky managed to do so well.
Comodo did very with its HIPS

As said if the user makes all the right decision with the HIPS then the protection would be 100

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
Use only their anti virus vs avast! then kaspersky and comodo will fail a couple of %.

If there was a exploit detection test by now i think avast! could be a first one in the list. ;)

Im sure.

sw

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
Well, in this case... I will try comodo firewall + avast! then, hope this works and no conflicts.
Thanks

cvsa

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
no problem : go for it !  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
cvsa, I'm just adding not arguing. I'm not questioning your posts (so I didn't quote you) ;)

Well, in this case... I will try comodo firewall + avast! then, hope this works and no conflicts.
Thanks
Yeah. They work together and you'll have the HIPS from Defense+.
The best things in life are free.

JerryM

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »
AV suites did not fare well, except for Kaspersky and maybe one other, in the Matousec tests. Evidently this is due to the test being designed to test HIPS. I have no idea why one suite uses HIPS in the firewall and most do not.

However, I continue to trust suites, and AV Comparatives whole product (Dynamic?) test is the most real world test. I have used Avast Pro along with Online Armor free firewall, I think that probably gives about as much security as reasonably possible.

Avast is an excellent AV, and I recommend you check the AV Comparatives tests.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Regards,
Jerry