Author Topic: Opera 10.60 + AVG linkscanner  (Read 10727 times)

DavidCo

Opera 10.60 + AVG linkscanner
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
AVG say that Avast V5 is not compatible with link scanner
Opera just use a module of link scanner so maybe ok?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Opera 10.60 + AVG linkscanner
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
I really don't understand which are the advantages of Link Scanner over Web Shield of avast...
Link Scanner slows down the browsing and the detection rate is really smaller than Web Shield as far I could learn from Internet readings...
The best things in life are free.

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
I thought there was an issue with the Avast URL blocking?
I Do not use Behavior shield, but all others
I looked at the new Opera and it uses AVG link scanning by install/default

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »
Why don't you use Behavior shield?

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
I did but I had that slow down over time.
I havn't turned it back on after the last update (594) yet, let the dust settle first :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
I did but I had that slow down over time.
I havn't turned it back on after the last update (594) yet, let the dust settle first :)

Which dust..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DavidCo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
I had been using a certain setup quite happily and then updated to the latest (594)
I will leave the setup 'as is' for a while and when happy then I will then introduce 'new' config'
If I changed 2 things at the same time and had an issue I might not know what caused the problem ;)

David

atm I am very happy with V5 Pro AV

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
I thought there was an issue with the Avast URL blocking?
I Do not use Behavior shield, but all others
I looked at the new Opera and it uses AVG link scanning by install/default

I have Opera 10.60 installed.  AVG LinkScanner is not included in it's install.  According to http://free.avg.com/gb-en/linkscanner,  LinkScanner cannot be bundled with other software programs.
Licensing details

* AVG LinkScanner Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single computer use only. The use of AVG Free within any organization or for commercial purposes is prohibited.
    * AVG LinkScanner Free Edition may not be bundled with other software programs, hardware components, or any other services.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

DavidCo

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »
From http://www.opera.com/browser/features/

Opera features up-to-the-minute information on exploits, viruses and phishing scams from AVG. When you visit sites on the Web, Opera checks this data in real time and warns before you enter when a site is identified as dangerous. In addition, Opera supports Extended Validation certificates (EV) to provide added assurance and trust for secure websites.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/opera_claims_50_jump_in_speed_integrates_avg.php

The final version of Opera 10.60, in addition to running 50% faster than the earlier version, will have AVG security features built in, according to the company's PR chief, Thomas Ford.

Integrated AVG Web Threat Data Feed offers 10.60 following security functions.

* Exploit signatures detect Web pages serving drive‐by downloads
    * AVG Online shield detects viruses delivered via social engineering scams
    * Reputation lists identify consistently malicious domains and URLs
    * Contextual analysis exposes attempts to trick users into installing malware via social engineering scams
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:39:58 PM by DavidCo »

DavidCo

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
Looks like AVG have changed policy somewhat
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Opera-Incorporates-AVG-Technology-to-Block-Web-Attacks-145969.shtml

Lets wait and see :)

Using Google reveals a lot of web articles that mention it.  However, in checking the Opera site, I think that it is now using AVG's database of bad sites in it's fraud protection.

http://www.opera.com/browser/features/ near the bottom.
Rest assured with Opera's Web Threat Protection and Extended Validation

Opera features up-to-the-minute information on exploits, viruses and phishing scams from AVG. When you visit sites on the Web, Opera checks this data in real time and warns before you enter when a site is identified as dangerous. In addition, Opera supports Extended Validation certificates (EV) to provide added assurance and trust for secure websites.

http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.60/en/fraudprotection.html and http://www.opera.com/docs/fraudprotection/ differ a little.

I could be wrong but it seems that Opera now consults AVG's database whenever visiting a site.  Firefox checks Google's database in a similar fashion, although it updates the database regularly and checks against that offline.  I like Firefox's method more because there's less opportunity for tracking.

In Opera, fraud protection can be turned off.  This should sever the link to AVG, maybe??

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

DavidCo

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
I'm all for the layered approach and am using FF atm although I think Opera is a better browser. It's just that Opera is so strict as to be annoying. It still doesn't stop loading on some sites.
If Opera ever got finished, lol, I would look again, I keep looking every 'final'
I will be careful though, about the compatibility front (Link Scanner V Avast V5)

brhokla

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:28 AM »
I have been using Opera 10.60 with zero problems with the Avast Pro 5.0 AV.  I tried the AVG scanner as a stand alone in the past with Avast 5.0 Pro and it didn't work but Opera 10.60 works fine with Avast Pro.   Must be an AVG problem that they don't want people running their scanner with another Antivirus product.  Did the same thing on my sons computer with Microsoft Security Essentials. 

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »
I tried the AVG linkscanner a while back and it seemed very good until one day when the AVG servers were down. My browsing slowed to a crawl and was almost impossible to do. I dumped it immediately.