Author Topic: Outlook Express  (Read 3164 times)

thesalonguy

Outlook Express
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
Hello, I just uninstalled McAfee Security suite and purchased the full version of Avast. Hopefully this program will be much better than Mcafee. I am using outlook express currently ahd always have been. I used to have all emails go to the Mcafee spam folder that were marked spam. Now there is no avast spam folder or anything in outlook express. I am getting many emails marked as spam now that aren't. What are your suggestions or does Avast even support outlook express?
Thanks.

Eric March

Re: Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
Hello!

Ironically, I am not able to tell you what Avast does to SPAM mails - I do not get much enough SPAM. The reason is, my mail providers do user quite good filters (for free), and I do not use OutlookExpress (since I ever got contact with it within Win95) for many reasons. Good, actual mail clients contains ›rules‹ or filters which are highly effective.

So a virus shield is to me to block incoming malware, where SPAM is job for dedicated SPAM filters, combined by those which providers offers.

Maybe it's is a better strategy to use other filter systems than just take Avast for it. There are tools which are surely better in this.

Eric March

thesalonguy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
Can you suggest some programs for this? Or should I just go to regular outlook office 2010?

Eric March

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Hello!

I'm sorry to say, to answer this is not easy…
When 1st time to run OutlookExpress, it could not convince me to use it. On the other hand, Outlook itself is more then only a mail client.
›Infected‹ by Netscape (4.x) as a browser which contains a mail client, I kept using it (now SeaMonkey). So for a lot of information I lot about OE and OL, seeing this progs working more or less good, I can not recommend this software… In fact, too, backing up the mails a.s.o.
For this, ThunderBird as a single mail client which allows (useful) AddOns would be more comfortable, would offer more usabiltiy.

Eric March

k.u.r.t

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
The spam filtering feature will work regardless of your email client. It is a feature of the mail shield. The antispam toolbar (which complements the autofiltering) is only available for ms outlook 2000-2010 at the moment.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
If there is a way to turn off the Avast! spam filtering (I don't know since I only have the free AV), a good alternative that integrates perfectly with Outlook Express (in my opinion the best and simplest email program ever) is SpamFighter. You start out with a trial of the paid version which reverts to a free one after 30 days . The free version still has all of the spam filtering ability except for language filtering but it places a small ad in your outgoing mails and you are limited to 100 blacklisted/whitelisted entries. I use it and it works great just on the default settings. I have only extremely rarely had to tell it what was spam and was wasn't and it sends the spam to a Spamfighter folder it creates for you in Outlook or Outlook Express. It also works with other email clients including Thunderbird (which I have never been able to get working correctly so gave up on), I wouldn't recommend TB if you have multiple email providers).