Author Topic: Firefox and Avast! (Newbie Question)  (Read 6130 times)

Jorolat

Firefox and Avast! (Newbie Question)
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:58:46 PM »
Hi,

I've just installed Firefox and was wondering if I have to 'do' anything in order for Avast! to scan whatever page I open.

I normally use Opera and when I open a bookmark the Avast blue ball does a little 'twirl'. In my blissful state of ignorance I've always (er, I've only had Avast! a week) assumed that that meant Avast! was scanning the page while it was being downloaded.

This doesn't appear to be happening on Firefox, hence the question! :)

Regards,

John Latter

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Firefox and Avast! (Newbie Question)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:00:50 PM »
Its because of the way how Firefox builds its cache. Opera uses files with extensions,but Firefox uses extensionless files for its cache. You need to set avast! t scan All files in order to check pages.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Jorolat

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »
Thankyou for the quick reply, info, and explanation RejZor! :)

I went to:

Standard Shield
Customize
Scanner Advanced
Scan created/Modified Files

and then clicked on "All Files"

I'm pretty sure that's the one you mean cos the little blue ball is now doing a twirl for Firefox too!

Regards,

John Latter

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 01:46:42 PM »
Yup correct. The only problem is that avast! will now scan all files,even those which cannot be infected (video,music,images) so it might take a bit longer to open such (big) files.

Jorolat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 03:17:30 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to ask (the info may be readily available elsewhere) but how often does Avast! scan 'All Files'? Does it do it every time Firefox downloads a page? Is there a way around this problem (if it is a problem!) by adding an extension to the 'Only files with selected extension' group?

Er, its just occurred to me - when you say Avast! will now "scan all files,even those which cannot be infected (video,music,images)" do you mean all files which are being downloaded from a particular webpage? (or all files on my computer?)

I'm afraid I don't know much about computers in general, and Avast! in particular, at the moment :)
Regards,

John

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 03:24:11 PM »
No,scan all files means to scan all files that will be downloaded and all those that you already have on disk. Adding only specific extension for Firefox is impossible since its cache files are extensionless (without any extension,so you cannot add one in avast!). avast! checks when pages are opened(viewed) in Firefox and when those viewed files are stored in browsers cache. Another solution could be some sort of Browser Shield provider which would scan all downloaded/viewed files on max settings when they are transmitted through browser(or into browsers cache).

Jorolat

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 03:34:27 PM »
I do intend to do some background reading so I don't want to pester you with naive questions. At the moment, however, I would appreciate it if you could clarify one point for me:

"No,scan all files means to scan all files that will be downloaded and all those that you already have on disk."

By 'all those files that you already have on disk' do you mean files that are only associated with Firefox? I'm just trying to get a 'feel' for what's happening and what kind of overhead is involved with the 'All Files' option so that I can decide whether or not to persevere with Firefox (I quite like Opera - except for the Ads - and am just trying Firefox to see what it's like).

Regards,

John

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 03:41:51 PM »
No,Scan all files means that avast! will scan all files that you will access(open/execute),create from scratch,copy/move or modify no matter for which program they are.

So if you will open a word document it will be scanned,if you'd download a MP3 file from website it will be scanned,if you edit and save some INI file it will be scanned,if you copy/move file from one folder to another it will be scanned.

Basically whatever you'll do with files on your disk they'll be scanned.

Jorolat

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 03:55:12 PM »
Ok RejZor - I get the picture now!

Thankyou very much for your help :)

John

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 05:40:02 PM »
No problem ;)
I'm glad i helped you :)

Storm Rider

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 06:40:36 AM »
I hope it's ok to jump in here .  I use Firefox and have Avast set to scan all files. My problem is that my 800mh celeron has slowed down noticably.  

What is the right balance to have secure settings without sacrificing to much performance.

Thanks,

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 09:43:05 AM »
Just move the slider to High in Standard Shield. If you still notice slowdowns,move it to Normal. Protection is theoretically the same.

Storm Rider

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »
Ok, I'll try your suggestion.  

Thank You