Author Topic: How to reset settings to defaults  (Read 14795 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

How to reset settings to defaults
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
Can someone please explain how I reset avast 5.0.594 back to default settings in the Basic Settings and the Real-Time Shields Expert Settings?
I have made so many changes, I'd really like to reset to default to see what the original settings are.
I'm thinking that the only way to achieve this is to uninstall and reinstall, but I hope that's not the case.
I have often thought it a good idea if the defaults could be somehow denoted, such as by an asterisk or italics or something that identifies them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to reset settings to defaults
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
The short answer is that you can't, which is why it is important not to go tweaking crazy. The only way is to reinstall.

We have been asking for some time to have this in avast 5 (it was never in 4,8 either), but so far nada.

The same as we have also been asking for a means of saving/exporting the settings, but again nada.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
Thanks.
That's what I was afraid of.
I should have taken a bunch of screenshots while everything was still at default.
Maybe they'll make a change and make it easier than reinstalling.
Fingers crossed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
You're welcome, good luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:58:38 AM »
Question on defaults...
Earlier today, on the File System Shield, under 'Scan when opening' and 'Scan when writing', I checked the box that says, 'Scan all files'.
To me, it makes very good sense to scan all files at the moment they are opened, created or modified.
But true to their word ("may have an impact on your system's performance"), things got mighty slow on my computers when I did this.
So, I am assuming that "Scan all files' on both of these is not the default, correct?
And why is it okay to NOT scan files when opened, created or modified?
Isn't that the epitome of what an infection does... opens, creates and modifies files?
I suppose that having every choice checked under 'Scan when executing' is what makes it okay to not 'Scan all files'?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »
Posted the default settings.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:41:40 AM »
Not all files represent a threat so it is a wasted effort in actually scanning them. Files that represent a risk are by default scanned, unless you make changes. I would suggest that you spend some time checking out the avast help file before making any changes.

I have pretty much left my avast settings on the defaults as I believe avast know what they are doing in regard of balancing performance and protection. In general any changes that I have made have been in the Sensitivity, increasing the heuristic setting, but that too can have an impact; or in the Actions as I am not a believer in automated actions, I want to be in control of my system. So I tend to have that set to Ask rather than send to the chest, etc. etc.

I suggest a period of consolidation without doing anything to the default settings and see how that works out with your computer use. Unless there is something specific you are concerned with in which case investigate first rather than hitting the paranoid button ;D

bo.elam

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:20:08 AM »

We have been asking for some time to have this in avast 5 (it was never in 4,8 either), but so far nada.

That is a setting I would also like to have.
Bo

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 04:56:05 AM »
Posted the default settings.
Thanks, Tech.

kb-r

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
How about this...

As far as I can see, the various .ini files (e.g., avast5.ini, FileSystemShield.ini, WebShield.ini...) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5, contain the current configuration data, including custom settings.

Copies of these files can be stored for, say, a 'virgin' installation, and/or following custom settings.

Pasting these backups in the C:\Documents and Settings\... folder (probably need to be in Safe Mode) will revert the installation to default state - or to custom state - as required.

kb-r

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
@ kb-r,

Are you asking a question or responding to a very obsolete thread?  If you are asking a question, you need to start a new thread:

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.  Thank you.

If you are trying to respond to an old thread, you gave the incorrect information.  Since there is no restore button in the current version of 5.0.677 (the thread you responded to is in older version), only an uninstall and clean install will bring back the default settings.  Thank you.

kb-r

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
Hi.

I'm responding to a thread that is open and, as far as I can see, discussing the lack of (and perceived need for) a reset-to-default button in a current version (v.5) of Avast.

And I am suggesting that saving copies of these files is a possible way in which settings can be saved - and restored. 

The adverted .ini files contain all the settings one might wish to save; an example is the configuration of a scheduled custom scan (in the file Avast5.ini) details of which I can clearly recognise as my settings e.g.,

SchedType=Daily
SchedTime=68400
SchedDays=127
SchedulerEnabled=1...

ActionOnPackedFile=onlyfile
ConsultUsn=1
PopulateUsn=0
AutomaticallyApplyActionsDuringScan=1
ScanLinks=1
ReportName=C:\Documents and Settings\k\Desktop\Avast Scan
ReportRecords=Infected;HardErrors
OverwriteReport=0...

I haven't tried it myself yet, with avast, but it's an approach that I have found to be very useful with other divers softwares.

kb-r

kb-r

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »
Hi, again.

I have just completed the following exercise.

1. I saved copies of the Avast .ini files from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5 to a safe place.

2. I then seriously changed the settings of,
- a scheduled custom scan that I had set up, and
- the settings for the Web Shield.

3. I saved the new settings and restarted the PC. The new (changed) settings were now showing as the current settings.

4. I restarted into Safe Mode.

5. I copied and pasted the saved original .ini files into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5, saying 'Yes' to overwrite the existing files.

5. I restarted the PC.

6. After the restart, all my settings for my scheduled scan, and the Web Shield, were restored to the original state (before step 2., above).

kb-r