Author Topic: Very funny glitch after Avast Free 5 boot time scan  (Read 3644 times)

4tainer

Very funny glitch after Avast Free 5 boot time scan
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »
Ok just ran a boot time and the wiredest thing happened when the system started up: It appeared to be going thru the motions of setting up the operating system and preinstalled software for the first time, like it'd accessed the recovery partition and begun loading all the defaults.

The hardware is a Lenovo laptop running Vista SP2 32bit

Luckily it reversed itself on the next boot up, but Really freaked me out.

Couple of differences to a full (or partital) system recovery was that half my desktop shortcuts were still there,

but everything else was starting to set up unconfigured. All the preinstalled Lenovo software that is, was starting up and the Windows Welcome screen popped up. The desktop background was also the default Vista one, etc.

The only clue it wasnt gonna need a full hard drive recovery, was a bubble message saying it'd loaded some sortof temporary startup mode (like a sandbox) and none of the settings would be saved.

It WASNT any safe mode, just looked like a regular system installion routine, and no mention of any fatal errors or anything

OK, so it was possibly my fault: Id set the boot time scan earlier and forgot about it, then later, thought to run a temp file cleaner using Comodo System Cleaner, with its safe operation mode were it reboots the system reboots to complete the task

LONG STORY short, I wont be trying the boot time scan again.. unless it really was Comodos fault ?? Btw it didnt detect any virus'

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Very funny glitch after Avast Free 5 boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »
Neither avast boot time scanning nor Comodo System Cleaner should change anything in boot procedure.
At least, avast does not take any automatic action at boot time (you need to decide manually) and Comodo System Cleaner (at default settings) doesn't mess anything with it (personal experience in two computers).
These software shouldn't change the system recovery partition either.
The best things in life are free.

4tainer

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Has anything like that happened on your systems, or anyone here reported similar? Seemed well out of place for a precautionary measure considering the scan log shows that boot time didnt find anything

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »
boot time programs can corrupt the file system (on NTFS) and may be trigger your recovery process...

I didn't experience this with an AV boot scan - I don't have it now anyway as the current version isn't 64 bit compatible - but I ran it with avast4 on XP and Vista 32...and there was no problem...anyway what I can tell is that on XP and Vista I've had system file corruption issues while running O&O and Diskeeper boot time defrag utilities. I once had to reinstall Windows because of this (Chkdsk would fail).

This said I have no idea how the avast5 boot scan interacts exactly, it shouldn't be able to do (in terms of corrupting the file system) what a defrag program does, i.e. it just scans...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:06:58 AM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »
avast boot time scanning does not corrupt the file system (even does not change it). avast won't change anything to invoke the recovery process, specially if had not moved any file to Chest.
The best things in life are free.