Author Topic: A Batch File To Launch The Free Version 's Thorough Scan  (Read 24423 times)

Offline turitopa

Re: A Batch File To Launch The Free Version 's Thorough Scan
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
I particularly think it's a waste of time and resources, I mean, a second full antivirus.
I would do on line scanning.

Avira could be only on demand if you are patient enough with their weird updates and popups.
a-squared is well known for tons of false positives.
I suggest MBAM as on-demand only.

hi tech,

I have DSL 256 connection, cap of 3GB then charged excess...roughly 30+ workstations
Do online scanners use alot of bandwidth??  I do not think online scanners are suitable for my environment.

I just want something else as a backup scanner...I have Mbam on my own workstation (is this more for internet browsers?)  Only a handful of staff are allowed Proxy server access all other staff are blocked (because 3GB a month is easily chewed up).  Staff do however bring their evil USB devices from other govt departs or home...and they are always sending/receiving out them bloody chain-letters....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »
roughly 30+ workstations...
Staff do however bring their evil USB devices from other govt departs or home...and they are always sending/receiving out them bloody chain-letters....
Are you using avast free?  ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline turitopa

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »
yes, avast free... ;D
our firm cannot afford purchase AV...SBS 2008 already broke our budget...
Plus my CEO would prefer using the free version...

I harden my LAn/gateway with Endian Firewall - no open ports, use squid proxy (handful of users).
All workstations, Comodo FW free, Avast free (before I started the old IT dude had a Cracked version of NOD and it wasn't even up-to-date! He even had NT4 as the PDC and 2 win2000 memberservers all 3 were malwared out)
I have cleaned up a lot of the old workstations...and brought our environment upto 2008 domain...pity thou I wished I just used a linux server instead (I am slowly moving to Linux - stuff windows and commerical software Open source is the way...but I am still fairly new to linux), but I have 2008 now so might as well use it...

I heard that Avast free performs better then the pro version anyway (in this forum), i just let comodo FW and Avast free is secure enough (isn't it??)

This is why I want to cache the free updates...it can be done within IPcop so should be capable in Endian too (i am using community version so will need to figure this out myself, no one in this forum or Endian has provided a solution...yet)...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00:14 AM »
 ::)

Offline turitopa

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 03:48:54 AM »
Hi tech,

I am aware I am not suppose to use the free version in a domain environment...are you trying to tell me to stop using it? :'(

The software allows myself to install it, so I do.

Offline turitopa

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 03:57:41 AM »

Do online scanners use alot of bandwidth??  I do not think online scanners are suitable for my environment.

any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
I am aware I am not suppose to use the free version in a domain environment...are you trying to tell me to stop using it? :'(
Yes. You're not allowed to do so. Read the EULA.
But would you still want to receive help for free in avast forums regardless of this fact? ???

Offline turitopa

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
Hi Tech,

yes you are correct, I used to use the corporate NOD32 before switching all my PC's to Avast free (NOD32 was not blocking all infections so I switched to avast free which seemed to fix my PC's).  I choose to use Avast free as it was seemed to do a better job then the paid NOD32 corporate version.  (And I have also read in this forum that the free Avast version out performs the pro version; so if I bought the pro version I would probably still only use the free version anyway).

I will email the Official Avast developers advising that I use the free version in a small corporate environment because it does its job very well...then I will go from there after getting official word from them - I only run it on workstations.

I am pretty sure that I am not the only IT person in the world who is doing this, it is free to Download and is capable of being installed on any PC (and out performs most paid AV's), unless they change the software I will probably not desist from using it...My own management are aware I am using a free Anti-virus instead of corporate version and are happy with it.

Hey this board is made for free support of a free service... I have not altered Avast software in anyway.
You make it sound like I am stealing from avast, when infact NOD32 has lost my ($$$) business - the company I am contracted to gets a better service.  And avast gets more exposure of being an excellent product.

You may think of me as evil for that, but if it keeps my LAN secure...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
I heard that Avast free performs better then the pro version anyway (in this forum)

That's nonsense, of course; the antivirus engine is the same, and the paid versions have additional shields, i.e. more layers that may block the threat if the others fail for some reason.

I will email the Official Avast developers advising that I use the free version in a small corporate environment because it does its job very well...then I will go from there after getting official word from them - I only run it on workstations.

The official word is clear - if you check e.g. this page or this knowledgebase article, it's pretty clear that the free version of avast! can only be used on home computers that are not used for any commercial activities. Any corporate environment, no matter if big or small, doesn't match this definition - even nonprofit organizations don't.

Hey this board is made for free support of a free service... I have not altered Avast software in anyway.
You make it sound like I am stealing from avast, when infact NOD32 has lost my ($$$) business - the company I am contracted to gets a better service.

Well, you are breaking the software's license agreement. There's really no difference whether you "just use it, even if you're not supposed to", or if you're using a cracked version, or if you stole somebody else's license... the result is the same.

Offline turitopa

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
OK OK...
I can see I am in the wrong...we all know that.  Point taken.  I will look into some sort of purchase...

theoretically i have no need for the other services from avast as I already have at my gateway: proxy, firewall, content filter AV, SPAM protection, squid cache etc etc from a free linux server...

That's nonsense, of course; the antivirus engine is the same, and the paid versions have additional shields, i.e. more layers that may block the threat if the others fail for some reason.
so having these additional features have no impact on the PC performance...i read contrary to that - being that these extra features affect the performance on the PC, in particular the Proxy feature...

so now then, will I need to purchase a pro license for each of these workstations?  But I still cannot use the free version within by domain (even thou it is the most suitable in my setup)?  Or would you suggest purchase pro version and then do a custom install and remove all the extra features... so that its basically just like the free version.

What would the complete corporate version let me do, that I cannot do already?  Of course it will give me access to ADNM (when the avast 5 version is ready...) however squid can  do this too...

It will let me install AV to my DC.  This is a huge benefit and one I am missing out on atm!!

I am just stating facts that any other computer literate person could figure out themselves, however I do like Avast as a product I do want to support it.

Offline turitopa

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
I am looking at the Avast SBS suite...

pricing looks reasonable...
But on the website it states that it provides avast 4.8
So would the purchase of this be a downgrade?  since I currently have installed 5.0?

I do not want to go through the whole mess of uninstalling and resinstalling Avast again as I have recently updagraded all my PC's to 5.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »
so now then, will I need to purchase a pro license for each of these workstations?
You should buy the server version or the ADNM one and deploy to the workstations.

But I still cannot use the free version within by domain (even thou it is the most suitable in my setup)?
No, you can't use it.

Or would you suggest purchase pro version and then do a custom install and remove all the extra features... so that its basically just like the free version.
If you buy the necessary pro versions, why would you want to degrade to the free one. Nonsense.

I do like Avast as a product I do want to support it.
Buy the product and you'll support it. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
So would the purchase of this be a downgrade?  since I currently have installed 5.0?
Version 5 is not available for ADNM version yet.
It's not a downgrade. You need to uninstall the version 5 and deploy the 4.8.
When it is available, the ADNM will upgrade (for free) the version 4.8 to 5 in all workstations.

Offline turitopa

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 01:40:58 AM »
hi Tech,

If you buy the necessary pro versions, why would you want to degrade to the free one. Nonsense.
I am worried the clients will see a degradation in performance on there PC <-- I have stated this at least 3 times in post before this with no direct answer to it, but instead have had this labelled as nonsense.....

Are you saying that the pro version users the same amount of memory as the home version?? I thought the Pro version has a bigger bite on local resources...
 (i am not talking about security but response time @ the workstation)

all workstations are XP SP3 most have 512mb RAM, a few 256 a few 1024...

Yes I am looking at the SBS suite...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:18 AM »
avast is a very configurable AV and if you don't want a specific function/shield to run you either don't have to install it (in a custom install) or uncheck that option later if it proves to to reduce performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security