Author Topic: ashServ.exe cause 100% CPU Usage  (Read 83889 times)

Offline hunter33

Re: ashServ.exe cause 100% CPU Usage
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
Were there a simple "here is the answer" solution to the problem you are experiencing (that is fortunately rare among avast users) then there would be posted in this thread that simple solution answering your question.

Perhaps you would be willing to take the time to answer the earlier series of questions posed in this thread by Tech (reply #9) that may assist us to help you to a solution.

My solution was to keep closing windows I was using for various websites, until the CPU useage dropped. So I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Avast. I was just wondering if anyone had confirmed that this happens when you don't reboot after an Avast update, since I think I ignored a reboot request the day before this happened.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
The reason why the rotating icon thing was mentions is because when it is rotating, it indicate that avast is actually scanning something and that would elevate the CPU usage.

So if you have high/100% CPU usage but no rotating icon, something is locked and this could be a conflict/clash with something else, usually security based. Hence all the questions.

If you were able to get into the Task Manager to report which Process is using all the CPU% that also helps, but once again it is another question, because as Alan said it isn't a simple solution.

Whilst closing down windows may have got rid of the symptoms (100% CPU) for you, it doesn't help track down the cause.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yaman

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 05:33:13 AM »
OK, now I have 100% cpu usage and no icon spinning... some times it spins though. Windows Vista 64-bit. Avast 4.8. (I also didn't reboot when it asked me, but i don't think that's the cause of the problem (it would be crazy otherwise))
I always have the virus database updated, and same goes for the program.

I didn't notice this problem earlier, and i think it started about 3 weeks ago.

I'm also doing a quick scan just to make sure i don't have any virus

BTW, my resident shield/protection never finds any virus, while quick scan or full scan does. does the resident protection have less "power"?

does the p2p shield protects only if you use kazaa or direct connect?
if for my email I use only gmail, can i disable the email shield and outlook shield?
Also, in my "installed provider" list i have a dozen elements some of which have the same name but they are not active. are those the old providers? and the ones that I'm currently using the up to date ones?

right now the avast icon has not been scanning for a while. Apparently it's stuck on safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/download....etc

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
Yes, but what is using that CPU%

The resident protection is only scanning files that are active, e.g. they are being opened and run, etc. that is what is meant by on-access, when the file is accessed it will be scanned.

So it isn't any different they use the same signatures and scanning engine, just that the on-demand scan is scanning all files depending on the strength and areas you select to be scanned. Over time as you have routed out these inactive files you shouldn't bump into to this very often.

Sorry I can't help with P2P questions I don't use them at all.

Gmail uses SSL (secure encrypted) email designed to keep prying eyes out including AVs. avast can't currently scan SSL email without something like STunnel to act as a middleman in the process, version 5 of avast should have that functionality incorporated so you can scan SSL email. Gmail does scan its email so the risk is minimal and if you exercise care, don't open attachments or click links in unsolicited email (without checking them out) then that risk is even lower.

Being stuck on safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/download....etc gives me the impression that you tried modifying the Internet Mail redirect ports and added the SSL port gmail numbers, as I said avast currently can't handle SSL to doing that would doom it to failure.

####
I think we have gotten to the crux of your original problem, your installation is stuffed (sorry about getting technical), there are 7 providers and normally only 6 running (unless you have MS Outlook not express installed).

So I would suggest a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mirez

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »
I have Avast 4.8, winxp pro sp3
ashServ.exe eating 100% cpu is really annoying.
I think you (avast developers) should give more control about this issue, like:
- allow changing ashServ.exe process priority (may be from avast icon)
- allow stopping the process
- allow completely exiting from avast (right click - exit)
- if I switch the protection off - nothing changes, still ashServ.exe takes all cpu.
- option to autostart avast with windows or not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
This is a myth... process priority should stay how it's design for: if scanning take longer, the longer will be the file released to be opened, or run, etc.

You will disable the antivirus. You need just to turn of the self-defense module.

- allow completely exiting from avast (right click - exit)
Only the icon will be "running" that way. No protection, no resources be taken.

- if I switch the protection off - nothing changes, still ashServ.exe takes all cpu.
Strange... are you using the Pro version?

- option to autostart avast with windows or not.
It's an antivirus, not a common application. Services must be running, drivers should have loaded...
The best things in life are free.

mirez

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
thx for answer.
This is a myth... process priority should stay how it's design for: if scanning take longer, the longer will be the file released to be opened, or run, etc.
I don't mind if it takes longer, now when it takes all cpu with high priority even scrolling web page sux :)

You will disable the antivirus. You need just to turn of the self-defense module.
I'd rather disable it from avast when I need it, than disable self-defense completely

the options could be for emergency, if the computer is not responding and I need free cpu. Or even better if the scan would be in the background, when system is idle.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
I don't mind if it takes longer, now when it takes all cpu with high priority even scrolling web page sux :)
So, use the automatic update (that runs at low priority). The manual update are thought to be run on normal priority, after all, the user has invoked it, hasn't it?

the options could be for emergency, if the computer is not responding and I need free cpu.
Just stop the providers. avast won't take resources anymore if you do it...

Or even better if the scan would be in the background, when system is idle.
You can send on-demand scannings to background in both home and pro versions.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »
Or even better if the scan would be in the background, when system is idle.
You can send on-demand scannings to background in both home and pro versions.

You can set the screen saver to avast and scan whilst the screen saver is running, you can't get much more idle/in the background than that.

Hulked

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
Ok I have found (or at least I think I have) problem..

I have noticed that everytime I close Vuze (p2p program that is actually great) I get azureus.exe (which is Vuze process) still running (after you turn vuze on again you get message Vuze did not shut down totlay last time..) and Avast somehow goes into non ending circle trying to scan it.
I have tried to end process azureus.exe but it wont close, it goes cool like with any other user process closing but process wont remove... and I think somehow Avast is scanning the process which can't end.
I have noticed after some time azureus.exe process dissapears and then ashServ.exe works normaly.. no more 100% cpu usage (but takes like 10-20 min which is strange).
So now when you have more info about what is causing it maybe you can do something about it...
Also I donno about other p2p programs I have only Vuze..

Good luck to all :)

bobo1

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
Test the computer for spyware & update avast to the latest version. There was a fix for ASHSERV EXE

jeffj4873

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:41 AM »
I think there may be a bad download site. I had a problem that may me reload windows and  then reload Avast. I had the 100% CPU usage problem.It hung up on reading memory which it does when you first boot up by default. I verified this by unchecking the memory test function and my CPU returned to normal usage. Then a little bit later the scanner had a problem. I finally reinstalled thru Avasts website. Problem fixed!! :D

REDACTED

Re: Invalid file signature, update terminated
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »

Invalid file signature, update terminated

Guys I have tried to Un-install the Avast 5 about 5x and still comes up with the error, I am using the Win XP with the SP 3

I Have the laptop which works okay but just my desktop. Can I get assistance on how to overcome this    
Invalid file signature, update terminated....thing plse.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
You should really have started your own new topic as your posting on a topic about avast 4.8, is over 8 months old and unrelated to your problem.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't resolve it, please start your own new topic:
- Please start a New Topic of your own as this is unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help. 
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.