Author Topic: Heuristics Question  (Read 4051 times)

Jem

Heuristics Question
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Forgive me, I don't mean to open the old 'can of worms' again, but I have a nagging concern about Avast's proactive capabilities. I've ploughed through all the (frequently heated) debates on this subject, noted the latest AV Comparatives test result and, frankly, I don't know what to do! Should I stay with Avast? (I'd really to, as I like the product very much). Is there any advantage to bumping up the WebShield heuristics sensitivity to 'High'? A friend of mine asked me the other day - "Why did you recommend Avast to me, when MSE scores better than Avast and is also free?" I didn't have a smart answer. I know there's a concern about MSE's updating but there seem to be workarounds for that. Sensible (calm) answers on a postcard please...  :)

SafeSurf

Re: Heuristics Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »
I personally don't go by the AV Comparatives test as they are not always accurate, especially given the time they are done.  Some here will give you their experience of MSE and the nightmare they have had with it, but I have never used it so I cannot comment.

I believe in a layered approach of security software for your system since no one program will give you 100% protection.  Avast is wonderful protection, but I also believe you should have on-demand scanners, protection within your browser, common sense when surfing on the Internet, and a good FW just to name a few.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Some detections of MSE are better. Some of avast :)
Configurability, layers of defense (shield) and update scheme are some of the advantages.
The best things in life are free.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »
For me?

It's a personal choice.

Tech is right! Some detections of malware and viruses.. MSE are better. Some on avast.

But i do believe MSE is getting better and better! They made the Windows!

Btw!

Obviously you posted on Avast site and the majority Avast wins!.

About AV comparative? its really a good site they do testing for malwares and virus using AV's.
Which plenty of site uses this site for reference people for choosing their AV's.

But its a matter of personal choice.

Its up to you.

Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »
phrase "They made the Windows" regarding the quality of MSE is a bit irrelevant.. not only the vendor knows the internals of Windows (Mark Russinovich e.g. before he became MS employee - his SysInternals were excellent), we also have documentation, skilled coders and a long experience with all Windows versions.. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
But i do believe MSE is getting better and better! They made the Windows!
Microsoft is not precisely known by acknowledging problems, bugs, holes, exploits on security...
Will they say: "Oh, sorry, there is a problem in our beloved operational system... that we're not able to prevent...".
The best things in life are free.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
Im no pro on fixing problems but i do believe Windows has plenty fixes on some windows errors and problem.

I also know that some windows update mess up the system.

But i do believe when things go wrong they fix the problem.

They have a forum. That what is used for.

I dont want make this thread to be debate as this is a avast forum and im loyal on Avast.

And i know the majority for this.

About the AV comparatives? it is explain that 5.0.396 if not mistaken this version has a problem on heuristic which AV comparatives use to test.

But AV comparative is a good guide for people choosing AV's.

Its just my opinion only.

Sory for that. ;D
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
phrase "They made the Windows" regarding the quality of MSE is a bit irrelevant.. not only the vendor knows the internals of Windows (Mark Russinovich e.g. before he became MS employee - his SysInternals were excellent), we also have documentation, skilled coders and a long experience with all Windows versions.. ;)
+1 You started developping avast for so much years already and have quite great experience and knowlegde about it,
whereas Microsoft just started one :)