Author Topic: Avast+The Pirate Bay Slow  (Read 21420 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast+The Pirate Bay Slow
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
but the site is completely clean so it makes no difference.
If you say so ::)
And if it lasts forever ::)
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 11:42:06 PM »
I have never gotten infected by a torrent downloading program , file, or site and I frequent them pretty often. The only problems of the kind that I have experienced was a few years ago with Limewire (not bittorrent at the time) when it seemed that at least 50% of the downloads offered were either fake, infected, or both.

On another note, I thought Pirate Bay had been shut down or at least crippled like MiniNova and IsoHunt have been. I have found another source for torrents that I will share if anyone wants to ask in a PM.

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
On another note, I thought Pirate Bay had been shut down or at least crippled like MiniNova and IsoHunt have been. I have found another source for torrents that I will share if anyone wants to ask in a PM.

oh you're offering stolen software links on Avast forums, well behind the curtains... cool ;D I might not pm you immediately but I promise to think about it ::)

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »

oh you're offering stolen software links on Avast forums, well behind the curtains... cool ;D I might not pm you immediately but I promise to think about it ::)
There are many perfectly legitimate links for torrents as well. I never said they were for illegal downloads and I would never post a link for such things. Things like Open Office and Ubuntu offer bittorrent downloads. Not that I would ever use either one though  ;D

World of Warcraft also uses the bittorrent technology for it's updates and patches but it has it's own built in client.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
but the site is completely clean so it makes no difference.
If you say so ::)
And if it lasts forever ::)

i do say so. and according to TorrentFreak the Pirate Bay will be moved into the Swedish Parliament with the Pirate Party. i dont think a registered political party will be offering out a website that is malicious in itself.
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-to-run-tpb-from-parliament-010702/
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »
Hi Dch48,

Torrent sites are being frowned upon by the content industry and they are a known resource that comes bundled with spyware, adware, etc. Also a lot of countries are more restrictive towards those that offer copyright infringement files. An offer that seems to be "too good to be true", often is that and comes at a certain cost. That "frowning" by vested interests could turn into something much more severe when finally International ACTA laws will be brought upon us, so I would refrain from these activities. They are insecure and one runs risks one cannot fully calculate beforehand,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 03:27:46 AM »
Limewire (not bittorrent at the time) when it seemed that at least 50% of the downloads offered were either fake, infected, or both.
+1
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:43 AM »
Hi Dch48,

Torrent sites are being frowned upon by the content industry and they are a known resource that comes bundled with spyware, adware, etc. Also a lot of countries are more restrictive towards those that offer copyright infringement files. An offer that seems to be "too good to be true", often is that and comes at a certain cost. That "frowning" by vested interests could turn into something much more severe when finally International ACTA laws will be brought upon us, so I would refrain from these activities. They are insecure and one runs risks one cannot fully calculate beforehand,

polonus
I know all about that but sometimes Bittorrent is the only source for things like older versions of software and other legitimate things. It's a tool like anything else and like a lot of things can be used wrongly. Email can also be exploited, should we avoid doing that too? I will admit that I have on occasion downloaded digital copies of movies I hadn't seen yet or music as well. In a good portion of the time I have wound up buying the actual DVD of the movie to get the better quality and added features. I know that I would not have bought most of those DVD's if I had not previewed them first "illegally".  So the content industry has benefitted more than they've been hurt, at least in my case. Peer to peer file sharing is a fun thing and I really don't care what the content industry thinks because they can't shut down a technology that has many legitimate benefits. I'm not hosting any illegal downloading in any way. By that I mean that I don't copy things and then make torrents so other people can download them from me.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »
Dch48 Linux distros OpenOffice might use torrents, but they don't transit through the pirate bay and the likes, I'm a Linux user myself, just don't try to fool us with that. We know what torrents are, we know that many are legit, and we know that TPB and a few others, like the ones you suggested to communicate through pm here are meant to deliver pirated and stolen software and other materials, films, music etc...okay?  ;D You don't need to steal a car before you decide or not to buy it. Okay that wasn't a good example because you can try a car but wait...with games and films there are demos and trailers right? Sorry man all these arguments used to justify piracy I heard them before on other forums, they're extremely predictable. The goal, the only goal for those browsing TPB and the likes is to get stuff for free, period. The guys running tpb or those who acquired it should be jailed, these guys deserve to be handcuffed and jailed, alright?  >:(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:15:37 AM by Logos »

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Dch48 Linux distros OpenOffice might use torrents, but they don't transit through the pirate bay and the likes, I'm a Linux user myself, just don't try to fool us with that. We know what torrents are, we know that many are legit, and we know that TPB and a few others, like the ones you suggested to communicate through pm here are meant to deliver pirated and stolen software and other materials, films, music etc...okay?  ;D You don't need to steal a car before you decide or not to buy it. Okay that wasn't a good example because you can try a car but wait...with games and films there are demos and trailers right? Sorry man all these arguments used to justify piracy I heard them before on other forums, they're extremely predictable. The goal, the only goal for those browsing TPB and the likes is to get stuff for free, period. The guys running tpb or those who acquired it should be jailed, these guys deserve to be handcuffed and jailed, alright?  >:(
I wasn't trying to justify piracy or fool anybody and how do you know what site I was talking about when I never posted a link and nobody has PM'd me? I was just pointing out that bittorrent has legitimate uses. The content industries have the intent (along with some ISP's) of shutting off the technology totally and that would be going way too far. That's all I was saying. I don't have a problem with protection of copyrights. Creative people definitely deserve the fruits of their labor and it wouldn't bother me if the piracy was completely eliminated.  I just don't want to see things go too far in the process.  I was mostly surprised at somebody being able to use Pirate Bay because I was under the impression that it had been shut down.

Yes, most of the torrents on Pirate Bay and others of it's ilk were for pirated things, but not all of them. The same was true of MiniNova and IsoHunt where things were removed if requested by copyright holders. Legitimate torrents were also posted there including some for Open Office and Linux distros.  It's a debate who should be punished for illegal downloads. Should it be a site that only provides a search function (you can also find illegal downloads just through a Google search) or should it be the people who copy or hack things, create the torrents, and actually host the files on their computers to distribute? In my opinion it should be the latter but maybe sites like Pirate Bay should bear some lesser responsibility.  As long as people practice piracy there will be those who choose to avail themselves of the fruit just like the people who buy other things at greatly discounted prices even when they suspect they may be stolen.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:27:03 PM by Dch48 »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 06:42:10 AM »
The guys running tpb or those who acquired it should be jailed, these guys deserve to be handcuffed and jailed, alright?  >:(

and the multi-national coporations running these media giants are smiling little moral angels only looking out for the welfare of the people right? ::) of course they would NEVER exploit anybody ever... ::)

point is, dont be so one sided.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:25 AM »
The guys running tpb or those who acquired it should be jailed, these guys deserve to be handcuffed and jailed, alright?  >:(

and the multi-national coporations running these media giants are smiling little moral angels only looking out for the welfare of the people right? ::) of course they would NEVER exploit anybody ever... ::)

are you putting on a same level companies working legally and the scum stealing them? yeah, that's it? and you're supposed to be open minded , more objective somehow ???  :D

NAMOR

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
This kinda got off topic, no? Back to the OP's question... While TPB was up I did not have any issue with slowness while using Avast.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »

are you putting on a same level companies working legally and the scum stealing them?

thats exactly what im saying. giant corporations making billions with little care for the consumer and make insane profits off of that. so no i dont really feel sympathy for those companies that are the ones part of the decision making on what something "legal" is, they have the money so they get what they want, ud figure the government wuld fight for their own citizens and not for the interests of these massive companies. They arent no small to medium sized business just trying to make a living for themselves.

copyright laws are abused and exploited beyond belief by these companies to make an extra bit of cash.

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »

are you putting on a same level companies working legally and the scum stealing them?

thats exactly what im saying. giant corporations making billions with little care for the consumer and make insane profits off of that. so no i dont really feel sympathy for those companies that are the ones part of the decision making on what something "legal" is, they have the money so they get what they want, ud figure the government wuld fight for their own citizens and not for the interests of these massive companies. They arent no small to medium sized business just trying to make a living for themselves.

copyright laws are abused and exploited beyond belief by these companies to make an extra bit of cash.

sorry Firzen, I won't argue against "that", if I went on the thread would get locked in less than a minute, so let's just leave it there it's not worth it ::)