Author Topic: Avast+The Pirate Bay Slow  (Read 21519 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast+The Pirate Bay Slow
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:59 PM »
ther is nothing malicious about The Pirate Bay itself, some of its downloads can occasionally have viruses, but the site is completely clean so it makes no difference.
Seems avast detection was correct... The site has been hacked... So avast was correct... So we shouldn't disable the protection... or by-pass it...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20009955-261.html
by Greg Sandoval

In a twist of fate that copyright owners are sure to snicker at, The Pirate Bay apparently has been hacked and the info bandits have made off with user information.

According to Brian Krebs, up until December an Internet security reporter with The Washington Post, an Argentinian hacker called Ch Russo penetrated The Pirate Bay, one of the world's leading BitTorrent search engines, and snatched "user names, e-mail and Internet addresses of more than 4 million of the site's users."
The best things in life are free.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
ther is nothing malicious about The Pirate Bay itself, some of its downloads can occasionally have viruses, but the site is completely clean so it makes no difference.
Seems avast detection was correct... The site has been hacked... So avast was correct... So we shouldn't disable the protection... or by-pass it...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20009955-261.html
by Greg Sandoval

In a twist of fate that copyright owners are sure to snicker at, The Pirate Bay apparently has been hacked and the info bandits have made off with user information.

According to Brian Krebs, up until December an Internet security reporter with The Washington Post, an Argentinian hacker called Ch Russo penetrated The Pirate Bay, one of the world's leading BitTorrent search engines, and snatched "user names, e-mail and Internet addresses of more than 4 million of the site's users."

first of all, the original poster posted this on the 5th, that article is on the 8th, the day of the hack im not exactly sure but i assume it wuld be close to that, and i doubt its the first slow down he ever had on the site, im sure its happened up to the point wer he finally posted about it so that doesnt really add up when it comes to dates of these occurances.

and my statement is still true, its not a malware site thats simply out ther to infect users. thats obvious, this is just a random occurrence that they have been hacked of users account information. so it was only compromised for that brief period of time (which they took down the site right after so it still posed no harm to users that visit the site)

and second,
Ever since I have installed Avast, The Pirate Bay is slow whenever I visit that site.
Does Avast do something to that site?
where in that post does he say avast made a detection?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:14:22 PM by firzen771 »
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
You're right. avast does not detect anything. Maybe the slowness are due to "many things" to be scanned at that site, I don't know.
Anyway, the site is not 100% safe and disabling avast won't be the best to be done.

Dch48

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »
Who's to say that the hack of the site was not done by the copyright holders themselves?

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:21 AM »
Maybe the slowness are due to "many things" to be scanned at that site, I don't know. Anyway, the site is not 100% safe and disabling avast won't be the best to be done.

that might be the reason for the slowness, but how is it not safe? the pirate bay indexes torrents, no content is hosted on the site, so how is it not safe? thats like blaming google because u can find malware by using its search engine...

people just dont seem to understand that these torrent indexing sites are not malicious in anyway, they just look at the sites reputation as a place to find pirated things and automatically assume its a harmful site in itself.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:14:31 AM by firzen771 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
[Off Topic] firzen771, how is your Comodo Time Machine experience? Are you using 166 or 175 beta version?

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 05:28:17 AM »
[Off Topic] firzen771, how is your Comodo Time Machine experience? Are you using 166 or 175 beta version?
lol... umm... well idk the version but its not the beta and it says i have newest version so its the newest stable version and its running fine.