Author Topic: Online Armor's ability to protect programs & Avast  (Read 4687 times)

Sode no Shirayuki

Online Armor's ability to protect programs & Avast
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
I asked this same question over in the Online Armor forums as well, but to be sure I'm going to ask the same question here too. Online Armor has a cool ability; Online Armor has the ability to provide protection (Restart if terminated, Protect from termination, Protect from suspend, Protect from remote code control, Protect from remote data modification) for other programs. I know Avast has the ability to protect its' own programs and files, most security software do. I considered having Online Armor also protect Avast's programs, but I'm unsure how Avast will react to that. For instance, Avast's updater has to start and stop at its' own will and is probably controlled via the main service, so I thought there might be a problem by allowing Online Armor to protect that process from termination, remote code control etc.

I did receive a response in the Online Armor forums, but the answerer was unsure. He did recommend excluding the two from one another though to prevent possible incompatibility.

Sode no Shirayuki

Re: Online Armor's ability to protect programs & Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
How do I make sure both programs are excluded from one another?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »
I think avast won't let OA manage its own files. The avast driver will block OA actions.
It's not a matter of exclusion lists (at least the avast point of view).
The best things in life are free.

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »
Well, I opened Online Armor and selected for it to protect avastui.exe from termination and it seemed to have work (The change was saved and Avast didn't respond at all).

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I can do this for all of Avast's processes.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
Well, I opened Online Armor and selected for it to protect avastui.exe from termination and it seemed to have work (The change was saved and Avast didn't respond at all).

Why should it..??
You covered an already covered person with another coat. No problem so far. Good.
Until the person wants to undress the first coat and runs into troubles because of the second one. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 04:52:35 AM »
I see. Recently I thought it'd be overkill to have Online Armor protect Avast as far as security goes anyways.

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »
Answered.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:26:14 PM by Sode no Shirayuki »

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:47:56 AM »
I think avast won't let OA manage its own files. The avast driver will block OA actions.
It's not a matter of exclusion lists (at least the avast point of view).
Why do you say that?  If both software are in the trusted exclusions, and in OA you tell it to Trust / Allow Always for Avast, then there is no conflict of any parts of Avast.  You can use the Advanced settings of OA to see in the History and untick the Hidden features to see if anything is blocked of Avast and verify it.  I have tested many builds of OA with Avast and have not see the Avast driver block OA actions except in one beta build (not public) on XP's only.

When the OP installs OA, it runs an installation feature that includes going through all the software on a person's machine.  Should a person install Avast after OA has been installed, they simply have to follow the prompts and click Trust / Allow Always for Avast, and put both software in the trusted exclusion list.