Author Topic: Avast! refuses to update definitions on desktop  (Read 31333 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast! refuses to update definitions on desktop
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »
DracheRitter, just try booting into safe mode, and run the uninstall utility from there.

That should remove all traces, and if it works, following a reboot you should be able to re-install Avast. Be sure you have the latest installation file for the free version, and use that to install it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

cherryshot

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »
Ok Im back, and its worse i did what you said Tarq and now windows security says anti virus not found...and im still getting access denied when i go to update anything.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
Cherryshot, what other security applications are installed?
What antivirus was used prior to Avast?
What is the OS?

Are you using an administrator account?A suggestion: Go to MalwareBytes and download, install, update and run the free version (blue download button).
Run a quick scan. Select everything found, then press the remove selected button. If prompted to reboot, do so promptly.
Post the scan report, either as an attachment, or in one or more reply posts.

cherryshot

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
No Other security app are installed.
CA Anti-Virus
Windows Xp home edition sp3

Running malwarebytes now.

It seems like ever since ive downloaded sp3 i have been having problems, when i got sp3 i forgot to turn off avast and ever since then its been doing this...I also have issues when i go to windows update, i had to manually install sp3. Now avast just said something about malwarebytes being an adware and it sent it to the chest, but its still running...

cherryshot

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
7/19/2010 10:21:12 AM
mbam-log-2010-07-19 (10-21-12).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 149758
Time elapsed: 31 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 20
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 6

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\oincs.oinanalytics (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\oincs.oinanalytics.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{f7fa36a4-3177-4b57-b9c1-e9c5b2e0d3a9} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6b221e01-f517-4959-8c41-81948e7f2f17} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{53e0b6e8-a51d-448b-b692-40b67b285543} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{5929cd6e-2062-44a4-b2c5-2c7e78fbab38} (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{53e0b6e8-a51d-448b-b692-40b67b285543} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{99410cde-6f16-42ce-9d49-3807f78f0287} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{2d2bee6e-3c9a-4d58-b9ec-458edb28d0f6} (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6b221e01-f517-4959-8c41-81948e7f2f17} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6b221e01-f517-4959-8c41-81948e7f2f17} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\oinanalytics (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\OINAnalytics.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mjcore (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\OINAnalytics (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Twain (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Webtools (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Patric\Local Settings\Temp\ie5B.tmp (Adware.PurityScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\OINAnalytics\Uninstall.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Yazzle1554OinUninstaller.exe (Adware.PurityScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcrh.tmp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msupdte.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:29:43 PM by cherryshot »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »
Download the latest Avast Free installer, if you don't have this already.
Download the Avast Uninstall Utility. Save these to your desktop.

You should go off line when uninstalling/installing AV products, as the computer will be unprotected during this time.

You don't say what version of CA antivirus you had, can you try and uninstall this from the control panel, if present.
Uninstall Avast via the control panel, if present. Reboot into safe mode.
Run the Avast uninstall utility. Reboot.
Install Avast from the installation file, follow the prompts, and reboot.
Go back online, Right click the Avast tray icon, click the "registration information" or "register" tab, follow the prompts.

Is all OK now?
Run a full scan.
Let me know if anything was found.

cherryshot

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
Not OK

Still have windows security alert saying AV not found
Still have avast saying access denied when i go to update.

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
Reboot your machine.  Then let me know if OK.

cherryshot

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Same thing

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »
When you did your uninstall with the Uninstall Utility Tool, did you do it in Safe Mode?  Then reboot?

SafeSurf

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Also, please check for remnants of CA_antivirus using their removal tool (go to bottom of list) http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/.  Very often remnants will cause conflicts with other AV programs.

Please run their uninstaller, then reboot your machine and let us know if things are working.

cherryshot

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
Access still denied, and windows is not recognizing avast.

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
You did the Avast uninstall with the Uninstall Utility Tool in Safe Mode and you used the CA AV uninstaller?  Just verifying?

Please update MBAM and run a Quick Scan.  If anything positive comes up, please copy and paste the log.

cherryshot

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
Ok i think things got a lot worse...i did the uninstall again just to make sure, i unplugged the internet, uninstalled avast with add/remove program, rebooted into safe mode, ran the aswclear5, after that said everything has been removed, a window popped up it was registry mechanic saying its going to monitor something...i went into settings said to disable. I installed avast, rebooted, now i have icons in my tray that i dont recognize...linksys easylink advisor, msn video enchanced- ready, morgan multimedia codec- enabled, morgan multimedia m-jpeg2000 codec- enabled, then an icon saying not sharing any content, and now windows security alert says the firewall has been turned off. All these icons were not there before.

SafeSurf

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »
Turn your Windows Firewall on now.

There was no mention that you had Registry_Mechanic.  Did you have this?