Author Topic: best free antimalware  (Read 5894 times)

ardi_sugianto

best free antimalware
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »
1. malwarebytes
2. SAS
3. spyware terminator
4. ad-aware

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: best free antimalware
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
1, then 2.
3 could conflict with avast, not that good detection rates.
4 it's an old guy... I think it's outdated nowadays.
The best things in life are free.

disPlay

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »
1, then 2.
4 it's an old guy... I think it's outdated nowadays.

I agree with you in every point.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Somehow miss SpywareBlaster in the list, or does not that come under this category, MBAM and SAS are non-resident scanners, one cannot do without, look out not to use scanners with loads of FPs, or you should well know what to ignore, well as always first establish if it is a real threat or not....never found anything more than one Flash cookie...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
Best is subjective and depends on the users requirements, best at what, e.g. detections, light on resources, etc. etc. I like the Repair function in SAS, which isn't in any of the others.

There are aspects I don't like so much in some anti-malware applications which regardless of their apparent strengths would rule it out, but my likes and dislikes are likely to differ with other users, hence the comment best is subjective.

One thing for sure I wouldn't give hard disk space to adaware nor spyware terminator.

There is also nothing to stop you having more than one, so long as only one of them is resident and the other on-demand.

SpywareBlaster, shouldn't be on the list as it isn't an anti-malware, being neither resident or on-demand, it isn't looking for malware but adding settings to IE and Firefox, etc. to block known malicious sites, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
I have SpywareTerminator (the latest version) installed and I have no conflicts with Avast.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
Could (not should have).
Other threads mention problems with the use of both residents side by side. It's not my personal experience but what I've read in forums.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:10 PM »
Avast not in the list ???

okay so, as secondary anti-malware, both MBAM and SAS. I'd skip all the rest. Funny though how the best stuff of yesterday is rejected now...but that's normal, they didn't live up to their reputation with the time.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:52:39 AM »
I think Asquared is also a very good antimalware. It has had a reputation for false positives at times.
That doesn't bother me as I've learned to investigate any detection before acting on it. (Highly recommended procedure, and if anyone doesn't know how to, ask.)

When I first started getting interested in malware. Spybot and Adaware were the main kids on the block. A2 was fairly new, or at least, a little less ubiquitous, and MBAM and SAS were not invented.

I don't know if it's the case of "the best of yesterday is rejected now", so much as that as malware has evolved the architecture and design of the older programs can't cope with the modern threats any more.

I also know AdAware and Spybot have been re-designed, and new versions released periodically. I don't really know how well those current versions perform today.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:56:11 AM »
Avast! 5's built in antimalware does it for me,

along with SpywareBlaster, OpenDNS's bad site blocking,

WinPatrol & Opera's built in protection.

Whenever I run mbam or SAS nothing is found. :)

My systems run fast with no slow downs. :)

I go anywhere I want, do anything I want, no problems. :)

Zemana hasn't found a real keylogger. :)

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »
hi everyone, today i installed SAS, and i think i more prefer malwarebytes than SAS. ;D
at first look i feel that SAS is more heavy than MBAM, and then i try to scanning using SAS, i also feel that MBAM scanner is quicker than SAS scanner. Actually SAS has more options than MBAM, but i looking for anti malware is not because of features but for good at removing malware. So for everyone who using MBAM and SAS please give me some opinions about MBAM and SAS :D CMIIW

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:09:03 AM »
I like MBAM and have both the free and pro on different machines.  But as you can see from the thread, everyone has their own opinion.  I can say that with the Pro version, the MBAM forum and support are quick in their responses.  If you have a conflict with the Pro (resident), you can turn it off and make it on-demand at any time.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »
So for everyone who using MBAM and SAS please give me some opinions about MBAM and SAS :D CMIIW

I prefer Mbam..! No need for SAS, imo.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
OK thanx for all about the opinions :D