Author Topic: Avast! Free 5 as Plugin in Outlook 2010 (Missing In Action)  (Read 3874 times)

Neurologi

Until recently, I had been using Thunderbird as my main email client on a XP Pro SP3 platform and am able to verify that Avast! 5 Free works as proxy for all my accounts by inserting notes in both ingoing/outgoing mails. I am looking to make the switch to Outlook 2010 and am keen to have Avast! handle scanning duties there also.

Everything I have read thus far indicates there is an Outlook plugin available even in the Free version that is Outlook 2010 compatible. I found a likely candidate in the Avast! install directory (i.e. ashOutXt.dll) but it seems obvious to me that for some reason it is not activated or even recognised at all within my setup. I go to "Outlook Options/Add-Ins" and the target file neither appears in Active, Inactive or Disabled categories within the dialog box. I even tried a re-install of Avast! and notice no change in the available add-ins. Am I missing something here? Of course, my Gmail accounts are being scanned ingoing/outgoing via proxy but Hotmail accounts are not as they are being handled by Outlook's Hotmail Connector and bypass the usual host/port settings procedure. Therefore, I have nothing with which to configure Avast! as proxy against in this instance. Hence, my desire to establish what the deal is with the Outlook plugin?

Suggestions please. I am at a loss.

Thanks.

PS Best anti-virus solution out there in my experience. Keep up the great work!

Edit:

Upon further investigation, it appears that this plugin only works with Microsoft Exchange accounts (as I found this registry reference)?

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions\avast! 5=4.0;C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashOutXt.dll;1;10000111111000

Pure speculation as there is no real documentation of the plugins capabilities.

Someone has to have used the plugin. A reply would help to establish whether my efforts are best served with finding another solution. Until then, I am in the wilderness.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:53:24 PM by Neurologi »

k.u.r.t

Re: Avast! Free 5 as Plugin in Outlook 2010 (Missing In Action)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Neurologi,
avast free offers the standard protection via mail proxy. To be able to take advantage of our Outlook plugins you need to run avast internet security. This version adds another layer to the existing mail scanner.

Neurologi

Re: Avast! Free 5 as Plugin in Outlook 2010 (Missing In Action)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Thank you k.u.r.t. for the clarification. A simple yet important distinction between the different editions of avast! that was not clear (to me) from the official website. In other words, all is working as it should be. Excellent!