Author Topic: Avast 5 & Outlook 2007 ..not sending Outlook Acrobat 6 attachment  (Read 4460 times)

alanogilvie

I updated to Avast 5 Pro on June 4, 2010..Shortly after that I realized MS Outlook would no longer email with attachments (acrobat .pdf)
I called Prague and spoke to support who promised to send me instructions but didn’t.
I stopped Avast firewall to no effect.
I could not fix the problem and installed Avast Home instead.  There was no longer a problem sending emails.

I am on XP Pro Sp3 Outlook 2007

I reinstalled Avast Pro today and have the identical problem.  Emails can be received with attachments but cannot be sent. They remain in the Outbox after send receive shows sent.
Switching off the Avast Firewall and switching off scan documents before sending does not seem to make any difference.

Most of my emailing includes sending acrobat (.pdf) attachments
Can someone please comment on how to fix this problem?

:'(

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast 5 & Outlook 2007 ..not sending Outlook Acrobat 6 attachment
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
What type of ISP do you have (DSL, cable), what type of email are you using? (Exchange, POP3, IMAP)

What environment are you talking about (a business with a proxy server, a home network with a router).

How large are the files?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
I've sent .pdf attachments today. They arrived.
Move the email from the outbox to the drafts one. Change something in the text. Send it again.
The best things in life are free.

alanogilvie

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
What type of ISP do you have (DSL, cable), what type of email are you using? (Exchange, POP3, IMAP)

Am using DSL.. POP3

What environment are you talking about (a business with a proxy server, a home network with a router).

Home network with router

How large are the files?

Tiny 11kb

I even tried to forward files previously sent and was no good..I did put pending items in draft and it makes no difference.. onw once refused it will not send emails without attachments

alanogilvie

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
I've sent .pdf attachments today. They arrived.
Move the email from the outbox to the drafts one. Change something in the text. Send it again.

did that but now emails without attachments cannot be sent

alanogilvie

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »
I may have solved the problem.  After having problems sending with an acrobat 6 pdf file.  it started to not email regular emails sent to frequent correspondents...just stayed in the outbox after the send /receive said all was sent and received.
The antispam on the Avast control module was set to stop.

However after reading some posts on anti spam went to tools/ trust center/ add-ins  found anti spam was a still active add-in...pressed go and unchecked the box for anti-spam and made it inactive.

At this point all emails and all pdf files are able to be mailed.

I have wasted a full day and a half in June and half a day today on this problem ...I am not impressed with either avast support or their response to this BB

It must be a known problem....this product needed more testing before its release...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
Well, I'm glad you got it working.  I don't have the Pro edition of 5, only 4.8 and home free 5.  Guess someone else will have to verify that their spam blocker add-in is failing.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum