Author Topic: Permanently disable Mail On-Access Scanners  (Read 4972 times)

Mrdom

Permanently disable Mail On-Access Scanners
« on: July 04, 2003, 07:55:54 AM »
Hi,

I did not found a solution via search for my problem so her my question:

I tried to disable the Mail (Internet/Outlook) On-Access Scanners because i do not need them. Using the Menu from the trayicon works, but after a reboot both services are again activated. So how is it possible to deactivate them permanently?

Thanks,
MrDom

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Permanently disable Mail On-Access Scanners
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 08:55:19 AM »
Using the Enhanced User Interface, you can edit the Resident task and uncheck the providers you don't want.
Without Enhanced User Interface... I'm not sure. Maybe editting some config files would do...   ???

Mrdom

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 09:10:15 AM »
Ok, i forgot to mention i am using the Home Edition. So using the Enhanced User Interface is not possible. But if someone could tell me what options to change in the ini-file i would be thankful.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 02:37:35 PM »
MrDom,

Why don't you need the scanners if I might ask?
It is one of Avast's great features.
Anyway, the easiest way is to modity the Start-up file in MSCONFIG.
Disable the Avast mail scanner sub routine.  Look in the MSCONFIG startup for Avast programs and uncheck them.  Restart you machine and you should be ok.
The only routines that run resident are the scanners, so unchecking any Avast files should not harm the functionality of Avast.
If the VRDB fails to generate, then you may need to go back in and recheck the files.
As soon as I get my computer back, I will give you the actual names of the files.

Experimenting with Avast helps you learn more, and you really can't hurt it unless you DELETE files!

Good Luck.
 :D

Mrdom

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 03:23:45 PM »
Why don't you need the scanners if I might ask?
It is one of Avast's great features.
Well, i was to lazy to configure my thunderbird using avast's mail feature. And thunderbird does not have any of outlook's outstanding  virus features.   :)

I will try to disable the scannes in the startfiles.