Author Topic: Avast ADNM move  (Read 5290 times)

uinthas

Avast ADNM move
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
I'm wanting to move my ADNM from a 2000 server using MSDE to a windows 7 x64 box, I have read through the ADNM documentation but was only able to find limited information on how this is done I plan on using 2008 SQL express since MSDE is not supported on x64 platform.  In a nutshell all I have gathered from the document is to install the ADNM on the new server and restore the DB, is it that easy? I guess I would assume there is more to migrating the DB from MSDE to sql? any document or insight on this would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast ADNM move
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:39:07 AM »
See Below Knowledgebase Link for a guide to setting up SQL Server 2008 R2 for use with ADNM.
https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=571

I have never had to Backup/Restore a database but the process is detailed in section 10.3 starting on page 70 in the ADNM Administrators guide:
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/adnmag.pdf
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

uinthas

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:18 AM »
Thanks for your reply, I have set up 2008 SQL Express already and I can connect to it from ADNM just fine, question I have can I take a MSDE DB backup file and restore it to a 2008 SQL Express DB or do I need to start from scratch? I have tried to restore the backup file and just get error messages, I find no documentation indicating if this is possible or not?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:12:36 AM »
I am not an expert with SQL, but how did you try to restore the backup? Did you use the AMS Maintenance Tool or try to restore it through SQL Management tools?

If you are unable to restore it via the AMS Maintenance Tool you may want to consider starting from scratch especially if you only have one location.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

uinthas

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »
I tried the restore through the AMS maintenance tools.  I have 3 locations with about 50 workstations, not a huge deal to have to start over just was hoping I could do a simple restore and no go through the hassle.