Author Topic: New Avast warning after changing email client  (Read 8429 times)

2nd base

New Avast warning after changing email client
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:39:41 AM »
Hi All. I've recently removed outlook express from my windowsxp system and replaced it with thunderbird. Immediately upon setting up my account in thunderbird, Avast! opened a window that stated that " Avast! has detected a secure connection from you're mail program (process thunderbird.exe) to the imap server ****** (aol.com)

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses. Please disable ssl/tls in your mail client so that the mail scanner can scan youre mail. The mail scanner will provide the ssl/tls security itself.

Does anyone happen to use thunderbird who knows what the antivirus is referencing? If so, how do you do it? Would it be Tools/accounts/server settings/security settings and then set it to none as opposed to ssl/tls? If so, Is that all I have to do.

Thanks if anyone knows. I've also switched from ie8 to firefox as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:00:43 AM by 2nd base »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: New Avast warning after changing email client
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:34:17 AM »
The Mail Shield in the avast! 5.x may not scan the content of incoming and/or outgoing e-mails related to various e-mail accounts.
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the help. I just went ahead and set the server connection security to "none" for the account. Apparently, the thunderbird installation program communicated with Avast! or vise versa. I guess Avast! is doing what it's supposed to do now. I don't know....... Really no way to tell.
Thanks again.

2nd base

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
You know what plucks me? The fact that you have to leave the mozilla thunderbird security settings off so that Avast! can scan email (which I still don't know that it's actually doing since that very useful icon that used to let me know on previous versions has been removed. Sure, it can stick a note in the mail that said it was scanned but was it really scanned?

Also by disabling ssl/tls, you're email password is then transmitted insecurely. Brilliant.......

Try finding an answer to that problem on the web and all you get is useless gobbledygook that answers nothing relevant.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
You aren't touching any security settings as SSL isn't directly related to security just the secure sockets layer for the transmission/receipt of the email.

With the Thunderbird SSL/TLS settings off it allows avast to scan the emails and it handles the secure connection to transmit the email, so there shouldn't be any unencrypted transmission of anything including any logon details..

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2nd base

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:30:38 AM »
Yeah, I get all of that. I'm not really bashing the anti-virus. It told me what to do and so I did and it worked. Just not too keen on this thunderbird client. There is lots of useful information from mozilla about their software but like I said...gobbledygook. It's kind of like asking how to make a pie but getting a recipe for biscuits.....on a charcoal grill.

I just want to know if it's ok to leave the authentication method where it's at being "password transmitted insecurely" when there is also the option to set it at "encrypted password". You know what I mean? I just can't get a simple yes or no answer from those helpful posters over at mozilla. ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:10:44 AM »
The password should be part of the encrypted connection, where avast does the StartTLS bit of establishing a secure connection and that would happen before you could logon to collect/send your email.

I don't know if having the encrypt password option set would impact on avast being able to start a secure connection, as that in my email client Outlook Express is separate to the actual secure connection. Check it and see.

I don't use thunderbird so I don't know anything about its settings as such. But before you collect or send email a connection has to be established on the various ports before any logon occurs (this should be the same for multiple email clients), so long as avast is handling the secure connection your logon info is in the secure encrypted traffic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2nd base

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:26 AM »
I don't use thunderbird

Me neither. I just got rid of their browser and their email client. What a mess. Thanks for you're help though. Beyond those minor aggravations, there is just so much nonsense that comes with those two programs so I went back to the good old microsoft products that worked just fine without all the hoopla. If it ain't broke then don't fix it rings true. At least the registry cleanup was simple with Mozilla.

Through all of that, the anti-virus didn't stutter though. It communicated with both email clients pretty smoothly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
You're welcome.