Author Topic: aVast apparently "OK'ed" infected file  (Read 2499 times)

MIBS

aVast apparently "OK'ed" infected file
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Hi,

I was recently given a RAR file by a friend of mine, who thought its contents would be of interest to me.  I just ran a scan on it..as I do with all files I download onto my system..using both aVast FREE Antivirus, which is installed on my PC and the desktop version of "JottiQ Malware Scanner", which uploads a file and submits it for scanning on a number of major antivirus sites, including aVast.

The end results were a little disturbing, in that 11 of the 20 sites the file was submitted to reported it as being infected with a total of 8 different viruses or trojan files..yet aVast gave it the "all clear"..both from the online scan, as well as from the scan I ran on my own system!

Obviously, I don't know..nor can I say for sure..if this file is or is not infected, or if it is just a case of all the other programs getting it wrong..but the fact a number of them reported it infected with the same viruse/trojan does make me question if aVast has missed something here..even more so, given I am using aVast, along with "Online Amour", as my first line of system defense!

I don't mean to discredit aVast in any way by making this post..but rather to let you guys know about this issue..and, hopefully, if something has been missed here, then maybe something can be done about it, so as to improve the service you are offering to all of us.

Please let me know if you would like a copy of the apparently infected file and how best to pass it on to you, if you are interested.

Kind regards for now.

Dan (MIBS)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: aVast apparently "OK'ed" infected file
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
upload the file to www.virustotal.com and test it with 43 malware scanners
when you have the result, copy the url in the address bar and post it here for us to see

send undetected samples to  virus @ avast.com  in a password protected zip.file
Mail subject: undetected sample(s)
Password: infected

you may add a link to this topic in the mail.

MIBS

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply and advice, Pondus.  I'll follow your instructions and post here again once I have completed the steps you outlined above.

All the best

Dan (MIBS)

MIBS

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »
Hi again,

I did as you suggested and uploaded the file to VirusTotal, ran the online scan and the results can be viewed here..

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=8230d56b0a632e43297cb62399ff18a755503164b4f0337b384922c7e77976be-1306874930

I have also zipped the rar file in question and emailed it to the address supplied above, along with the password and links back to both this thread and the VirusTotal scan results.

My thanks once again, Pondus, for replying with advice on how to handle this issue..much appreciated.

All the best

Dan (MIBS)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:06:41 AM by MIBS »