Author Topic: [SOLVED] Alternative download location for 400.vps?  (Read 18674 times)

baiki

[SOLVED] Alternative download location for 400.vps?
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »
Dear community,

Since days we try to download the latest update for Avast for Linux. But it seems to be impossible with Gamtel (government controlled ISP in The Gambia, West Africa). Therefore, I would like to know, whether there is an alternative download location which I can go to and download it manually (using HTTP and a browser, or FTP). We need always resumable download location because the Internet over here is extremely poor and undeveloped (imagine, we pay 50 US$ a month for a 64 kbit line which sometimes really works but most of the time just can bring constantly 24 kbit and that is simply NOT doing the job).

Hope someone can help us here in 3rd world country :-)

Regards!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:11:17 PM by baiki »

baiki

Re: Alternative download location for 400.vps?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
Dear community,

Since days we try to download the latest update for Avast for Linux. But it seems to be impossible with Gamtel (government controlled ISP in The Gambia, West Africa). Therefore, I would like to know, whether there is an alternative download location which I can go to and download it manually (using HTTP and a browser, or FTP). We need always resumable download location because the Internet over here is extremely poor and undeveloped (imagine, we pay 50 US$ a month for a 64 kbit line which sometimes really works but most of the time just can bring constantly 24 kbit and that is simply NOT doing the job).

Regards!!!!

Now I feel ashame :-( because a simple

Code: [Select]
$ wget -c http://files.avast.com/files/latest/400.vps
...did of course the trick.

Well, the file is not yet downloaded and not yet installed but Avast servers obviously support partial download (resumable)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:58:04 PM by baiki »

baiki

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
Dear community,

Regards!!!!

Well, the file is not yet downloaded and not yet installed but Avast servers obviously support partial download (resumable)

Cheers!

CONFIRMED: Download worked and after moving the file into ~/.avast/ my best AV have been updated!

Best wishes,
Baiki

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
Dear community,

Regards!!!!

Cheers!

CONFIRMED: Download worked and after moving the file into ~/.avast/ my best AV have been updated!

Best wishes,
Baiki

Yes, simply wgetting 400.vps from http://files.avast.com/files/latest/400.vps does the job.

pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)