Author Topic: [Resolved] Update to Avast 5.0.0  (Read 31287 times)

Pio47

[Resolved] Update to Avast 5.0.0
« on: July 10, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »
Bonjour,

I just updated my Avast Free version --> I got Avast 5.0.0. But nothing works !!  It is impossible to start the protections, it is impossible to update the virus data base ot the Avast program !!
I uninstalled then I reinstalled Avast -- > same problem !!!
The Windows XP security center warns me I have no virus protection.

Please what can I do to restart all that ?

Pierre
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:37:21 AM by Pio47 »

Pio47

Re: Update to Avast 5.0.0
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »
Isn't it because I installed Avast onto disk G: (not onto disk C:) ?

Pierre

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
Okay uninstall avast completely and install it to your system drive
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
Actually i curious on this topic.

Ive never try installing it on different drive.

I dunno if it doesn't work. Try googling but nothing came up.

Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

templet

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
I had the same experience. It seemed to install properly on my system drive, but when I tried to start it I got the message that the firewall could not be started. I shut down all other malware protection but it made no difference. And yes, it's the latest version (5.0.594). I'm running Win XP pro x64. I tried to contact Avast tech support but that was a half hour wasted listening to someone say they would be with me right away. Their tech support sucks, to say the least.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:14:17 PM by templet »

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
I'm running Win XP pro x64. I tried to contact Avast tech support but that was a half hour wasted listening to someone say they would be with me right away. Their tech support sucks, to say the least.
The number of people using XP pro x64 can be counted on one hand I believe.

templet

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
The number of people running xp64 may be small, but what does that have to do with my problem?

Pio47

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Bonjour,

My problem is the same whichever is the disk (C: or G:) Avast is installed onto !!!  It impossible is to start a virus data update or a program update, it is impossible to activate the protection agents !!!
I understand that just after installation Avast 5 can be used for 30 days, but I get a warning like "Test period finished". I tried to register twice: twice I received the same registration key, twice I got a warning like "Registation key not valid" !!!!!
Tens of times I installed or updated Avast in my PC or in friends PC, it is the first time I can't reach the end  >:( >:( >:(

Please, please help !!!

Pierre

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:43:13 AM »
Pio47,

If you are looking to have only the trial version installed, it appears you have a trial Key, which is only good for 30 days.  However it needs to be installed on your C/drive...not the G/drive.

If you had a prior version of Avast (like 4.0) and still have the Key and it is not expired, you can still use that key for the upgraded 5.0.594, but you need to reinstall (see below) before you reinsert the Key (see directions below).

If you want the Free, or Pro version, you need to delete the trial version from your G/drive.

I suggest a CLEAN install to fix your problems.  Print and follow these directions:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD on the C/drive:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD, which is the C/drive...I suggest you put it on your desktop away from other icons (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  If you didn't uninstall the older version of 4.0, you can do it at this time.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time; turn off your connection from the Internet.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS:

On-line registration is very simple and it's the preferred method for all users of Avast Free Antivirus 5.0 installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration, follow these steps:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Thank you.

Pio47

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
Thank you very much SafeSurf for your detailed answer.

I was using the free Avast 4 version, my previous key just reached the 12 months limit. As automatically suggested, I am trying to install the new free Avast 5 version and a new registration key, I just clicked with my mouse on links proposed but the result is a problem for which I am spending hours … >:( >:( :'( :'(
From my point of view this new version and the updating procedure still contains too many bugs, they have not been sufficiently tested …
If Avast needs to be installed on disk C: , why let the user be able to install onto disk G: ?!!

I am going to apply your special procedure, I hope it works !!!

Pierre

Pio47

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
No luck !!! ???

I carefully applied the procedure given by SafeSurf: all the problems are the same !!!
- Impossible to activate the protection agents
- Impossible to register with the Avast free version key I obtained three times (3 times the same key): "the key is not valid" !!!!
- Impossible to perform an update of the VPS virus data (nothing happens)
- Impossible to perform an update of the Avast application (nothing happens)

In the update tab, I get a warning saying the VPS virus data is out of date, but a few lines above the date is 09/07/2010 (9th of July) !!!

:'(

Pierre

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
Pierre, I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Pio47

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:03 AM »
Thank you very much Tech for your answer.
I applied rigorously your procedure: the result is the same as with the procedure suggested by SafeSurf (which seems equivalent to yours), nothing is OK, same problems as in my previous post !
I hoped it worked when I saw that the setup file indicated in your procedure is not the same as the one I downloaded previously, but …  :'( :'(
To-morrow I'll consider Avast 4 reinstallation with a new registration key. Unfortunately I erased the Avast 4 setup file I used to save till the next version is OK !

Pierre  :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »
Did you have any other antivirus in this machine?
Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

Pio47

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
Bonjour,

No the only antivirus in my PC is Avast.
Windows Defender is permanently running, I prevent it from starting for trying to install Avast: no difference.
From time to time I use Spybot and Adware, I run this program only on demand, no resident program is running.

I tried to set the different parameters of Avast but it is impossible to save them. Example in the Update page (*):
 - none of the 2 connection parameters is marked
- I mark Permanently connected to Internet and I save
- when I come back to this page none of the connection parameters is marked !!
- If the main window of Avast is set to Update tab, after having clicked on Save, for one second I can see the version of Avast displayed as 5.0.128, the version value permanently displayed is 125.146.21997 (??!!)

I am applying your procedure a second time ...

Pierre

(*): I use Avast with French language, I don't warranty the translations.