Author Topic: [Resolved] Update to Avast 5.0.0  (Read 31385 times)

Pio47

Re: Update to Avast 5.0.0
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
Bonjour Julio,

My G: drive is an internal SATA drive, C: is an internal ATA drive.
As my C: drive has now only ~4 GB of available space, if possible I install all applications on G: drive.
Avast 4 was on C: drive, for the update to Avast 5, I tried to install on drive G:, that worked for many applications but failed for Avast 5. So I tried to install Avast 5 on C: but it also failed !
My PC has surely something particular, but I think that Avast has also something particular as it is the only application which does run in my machine.

Pierre

SafeSurf

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
1. Do you have more than one Avast file on your machine now?  You said that you downloaded 3 files of different sizes.  Did you uninstall 2 of them leaving only 1 one on your machine?  What size is the file?
2. Did you uninstall Avast from your G:/drive (you first installed it there at the beginning of this post accidentally)?

Since you are having such difficulty and we have tried multiple attempts to fix your problem, I would like you to invoke a memory dump to the Avast Team to analyze your problem. 
Pierre, I'm awaiting your reply to my questions above.  Thank you. 

Pio47

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
Bonjour SafeSurf,

I know you are awaiting for my answer, but now my grandchildren occupy my whole days …

I even downloaded 4 different setup files for Avast 5, I say different because their sizes in Windows Explore are different:
- one file named  setup_av_free_fre.exe downloaded on 10th of July, size is 47967 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 11th of July, size is 52525 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 12th of July, size is 53164 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 16th of July, size is 53551 kB

All these files are for Avast 5.0.594.0 version, 3 of them have the same name and 3 different sizes !!!???

Each time I tried to install Avast 5 I always uninstalled the previous version installed. The first installation of Avast 5 was onto disk G: (not accidentally) after having uninstalled Avast 4 from disk C:, all following attempts onto disk C:.

Even I am logged in the Avast Support Center, with the URL you gave me  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71
I get the warning:
ERROR: You are not allowed to view this article or the article does not exist.
I don't know how to save a memory dump, I am looking for a solution through Google.
Please, can you give me the URL of a page explaining how to do a memory dump ?

Yesterday I made a first installation of Avast 5 in the PC of my niece: everything is OK.

Pierre

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 08:31:51 AM »
Bonjour SafeSurf,

I know you are awaiting for my answer, but now my grandchildren occupy my whole days …

I even downloaded 4 different setup files for Avast 5, I say different because their sizes in Windows Explore are different:
- one file named  setup_av_free_fre.exe downloaded on 10th of July, size is 47967 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 11th of July, size is 52525 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 12th of July, size is 53164 kB
- one file named  setup_av_free.exe downloaded on 16th of July, size is 53551 kB

All these files are for Avast 5.0.594.0 version, 3 of them have the same name and 3 different sizes !!!???

Each time I tried to install Avast 5 I always uninstalled the previous version installed. The first installation of Avast 5 was onto disk G: (not accidentally) after having uninstalled Avast 4 from disk C:, all following attempts onto disk C:.

Even I am logged in the Avast Support Center, with the URL you gave me  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71
I get the warning:
I don't know how to save a memory dump, I am looking for a solution through Google.
Please, can you give me the URL of a page explaining how to do a memory dump ?

Yesterday I made a first installation of Avast 5 in the PC of my niece: everything is OK.

Pierre
hello i dont think you can do a memory dump on a computer but idk i tried that on my windows xp computer and i cant do it so idk maybe someobyd else knows how
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:51 AM »
I get the warning:

Strange, the link works fine here...
Here's the text from the knowledgebase:
asyn

How to invoke memory dump creation?

When asked to create a memory dump (usually because of hanged avast! program), please follow these instructions.

1. Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters and add a new DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotation marks). Make its value 1 (one).
   2. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, and make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section).
   3. Reboot the machine.
   4. When the computer restarts wait for the problem to occur.
   5. When the problem is simulated (i.e. the machine is "dead"), do the following: while holding down the _right_ CTRL key, press the SCROLL-LOCK key twice. This should cause the machine to "blue-screen", and start generating the dump.
   6. If the machine doesn't restart on its own (when the dump writing is complete), restart it.
   7. ZIP the file \windows\memory.dmp (try to name it uniquely) and upload it to the following ftp site: ftp.avast.com/incoming (note you don't have read access to the site, only write).

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Pio47

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
Bonjour Asyn,

1: I know how to do that
2: Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, and make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section): I use Windows XP, in the Write Debugging Information section I can choose:
- Image partielle mémoire (64ko) / Partial memory image (64kB)
- Image mémoire du noyau / Memory image of core/nucleus

I think I must choose the 2nd line.

I understand lines 3 to 7.
I do all that as soon as I can ...

I hope after all that my machine will start again !!!

Pierre

SafeSurf

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »
Since you are having such difficulty and we have tried multiple attempts to fix your problem, I would like you to invoke a memory dump to the Avast Team to analyze your problem. 

Here is information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  They will analyze the information and get back to you.
Thanks Asyn.  I put this in my Post #43. 

Pierre, Avast needs your logs so that they can analyze what is causing your problems.  Once they get it, they will look at it and get back to you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
Thanks Asyn.  I put this in my Post #43. 

I know, SafeSurf... I read it. ;)
But the user got an error, trying to look at the link.
That's why I posted the text from the knowledgebase.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »

- Image partielle mémoire (64ko) / Partial memory image (64kB)
- Image mémoire du noyau / Memory image of core/nucleus

I think I must choose the 2nd line.

There should be a third line there...!! Do you see it..?
asyn

SafeSurf

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
I realize that, and I appreciate that.  I think he is having problems with hyperlinks, so thank you.  ;)

Pio47

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Yes I discovered I have a problem with my default browser (Firefox 3.6.6): whichever solution I choose I get the same page.
But, if I copy the URL  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71  and paste it in Internet Explorer or Opera it is OK !!!  I never had such a problem before ....

Here joined is the image of the window I get with  Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, "aucun" means "none".

Pierre

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »
Here joined is the image of the window I get with  Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, "aucun" means "none".

Hmm..?
The COMPLETE memory dump option is missing. (see my screenshot)
Are you logged in as Administrator..?
asyn

Pio47

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »
Bonjour Asyn,

Yes I am the only user and administrator of my machine.
My OS is Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I have a problem with the system restoration. If I click on System Restoration tab of Control Panel -> System, I get the warning of the image joined. Is that may be the cause of my problem with Avast ?

Pierre

Pio47

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
Bonjour,

I solved the problem I had with Firefox when I tried to open this page  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71 ...
I reinstalled System Restoration which is now OK.
For Avast my problem was then (obviously) the same ...

But, I uninstalled Avast, I deleted all register keys containing "avast" or "alwil", I installed Avast again, AND NOW EVERYTHING IS OK !!

I thank all of you for your perseverance in helping me.

Pierre

Pio47

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
I forgot a question:

Why the Avast removal tool (aswclear5.exe) is not as efficient as I am ??!!

Pierre