Author Topic: [Resolved] Avast 5.0.594 has no sound files  (Read 4817 times)

asbaker

[Resolved] Avast 5.0.594 has no sound files
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:01 AM »
The above installed on my Vista (32 bit) Dell computer tonight. I checked the sound files in control panel and they all have yellow ! marks and no files set. I looked in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5 area and there are no sound files available there.

Where can I get sound files for virus found etc? And how to install them?

Thanks - sorry if I missed this somewhere on the board....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:56:15 PM by asbaker »

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 5.0.594 has no sound files
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
1. Was v.5.0.594 an upgrade from a previous build or a clean install?  If this was an upgrade, what was your prior version?  Have you changed the default settings other than the Mail Shield (I read your prior posts)?

2. What other security software do you have on your machine?  What prior antivirus (AV) did you have on your machine?

3. Do you have sound on your machine other than with Avast?

4. Are your Windows Security patches up to date?  Are your Avast definitions up to date?

5. Is the date and time correct on your machine?

Also, you may want to hide your email address by going to the top of the page to PROFILE > Account Related Settings > click the box to Hide Email Address from Public.  This way spammers and others cannot harvest your email address.

Depending on your responses, it is possible you may need to do an uninstall and clean install of Avast to fix your problem:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
You will have had 4.8 installed at one point haven't you?

There has been a change from avast 4 and 5 in the way that the sounds are handled by avast.

The problem was that in 4.8, by using the windows sounds dialog, it caused some problems in windows 7, so it has been changed. Now avast 5 handles the sounds themselves.

You will find the sounds in C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\sounds

The yellow triangles are remnants of the 4.8 installation...I have them too...

asbaker

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »
Thanks Scott. I have now found that folder.

So the natural next questions are - 1) suppose I do not want to hear the voice every time the database is upgraded. Is there somewhere to edit my choice?  2) Should I delete the section in Windows sounds where the ! errors are noted?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
1. You can choose not to hear the voiceover sounds, in the avast! settings. (You can also choose not to hear the sounds at all) You can change the sounds, but there are some llimitations...

2. It is not necessary, but you could if you wanted...I am not really sure how you would go about it...(maybe just changing the sound profile...)

asbaker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
Thanks again, the first part of the answer was what I needed. I don't like hearing a voice saying I updated the file (daily) especially when I'm in the other roomm and the voice kind of shocks us  ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
asbaker,

If your issue is now resolved, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title.  Thank you.  I'm glad things worked out for you. :)