Author Topic: avast! Free with IOBIT Security  (Read 18673 times)

GloobyGoob

Re: avast! Free with IOBIT Security
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »
Arguing with a youngster like ziucqea is like aguing with a big mountain that refuses to move at your command ::)

Posting in blue exposes his newness ;)

Maybe he knows everything and will take over the world soon ;D

C'mon YoKenny, there's no need to be attacking other users ;)
And so what if he posts in blue?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »
Auslogic Defrag is doing a better job.
In term of..?
Doing the same job and the company does not steal intellectual property and work...
It's just my personal perception and (no) trust in the company.

The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:44 AM »
I don't trust IoBit either. I tried SmartDefrag for a while and found it's optimization routines to be anything but smart. It scattered my files all over my hard drive and left huge gaps of empty space between them. Even the XP defrag tool did better than that. Auslogics on the other hand is lightning fast and does an excellent job of compacting the files and eliminating those empty space gaps. Then you have the known incidents of pirating other vendors' software and that's enough for me to stay away.

(Whether they're Chinese or European or American or even Klingon is totally irrelevant)

GloobyGoob

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »
(Whether they're Chinese or European or American or even Klingon is totally irrelevant)

+1

ziucqea

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »
even one month later, the detection rate of MBAM is as low as 58%, compared with avst! 97% and ESET, Aviraļ¼ŒPanda, Kaspersky , etc., whose detection rates are all over 93%
You can not compare the detection rate of MBAM with AV programs.
MBAM is a specialized tool, with about 250 000 definitions. they concentrate on frech Trojan like malware.
avast is close to 3 000 000 in definitions
They block bad websites (IP block) but they do not scan for HTML / java script inf like AV programs do
They also remove detection when they see that the bug is not a problem for AV programs.....
BitDefender got over 6,000,000, so what?
I'm not saying MBAM is not good (although I do think so, at least in China). Also, I wonder what the Chinese version of MBAM is for. Translating it into a language which would not be used by over 100 pelple? The only community to use it should be the testers.

ziucqea

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »
Posting in blue exposes his newnes
Oh, no, it's only used to show my preference and personality. You're thinking of tooooo much.
Also, I can't understand what you mean. Should there be anything wrong or inaccurate, point it out instead of posting hosts of balderdash

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
I also think that MBAM is an amazing piece of software. It is not intended to be used in place of an AV it is a complement and a back up to your AV software. It's main benefit is that it is far better at removing malware that has somehow worked it's way into your system than all of the AV's that I know of. As was said here earlier, it doesn't detect a lot of older in the wild things because all of the AV's should be detecting and blocking them.

ziucqea

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »
As was said here earlier, it doesn't detect a lot of older in the wild things because all of the AV's should be detecting and blocking them.
No no no, it is not the point. As I said, all the samples were collected among one month. That is, the 'oldest' was only 30 days old, is it considered to be too old?
What I meant is, it is not at all effective in China, yet it got its Chinese version...
If you want, I can send you a list of viruses personally and you could see how tragic the detection rate of MBAM could be. And also Avast!. Usually, it takes (at least) three days for avast! to pick up all the viruses missed by its first scan.

silviucc

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Any antivirus/antimalware tool is going to be good or bad depending on the type of malware in the wild in the places where people use it. If , for example, chinese people use other products, those are going to be better at dealing with stuff than the ones europeans/americans might use since Rising may get more samples than Avast. Any product like this will only get better if the community grows so more and more samples are submitted. Of course, being able to submit samples also means helping you AV products with a behavior analyser/blocker or a HIPS product which are designed to contain 0-day threats.

ziucqea

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
Yeah, that's it...
But one thing to note: most Chinese use Qihoo 360 (which got two engines: that of Bitdefender and database,and its own cloud-based engine and cloud-based virus definitions), not Rising... Also, it's completely free...
It seems that Rising got perfect Pbulic Relation officials...

silviucc

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
I just used "Rising" as a placeholder, as it was the only chinese AV product that I knew of.

As a side note and possible followup to what I stated before, this is the way Bitdefender rose up. Initially dealing with "in the wild" threats that affected Romanian companies/users and then marketing itself to other european countries (Spain comes to mind) and after that licensing their engine heavily. The fact that Microsoft bought GeCAD's RAV product helped too ;)

Dch48

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
As was said here earlier, it doesn't detect a lot of older in the wild things because all of the AV's should be detecting and blocking them.
No no no, it is not the point. As I said, all the samples were collected among one month. That is, the 'oldest' was only 30 days old, is it considered to be too old?
What I meant is, it is not at all effective in China, yet it got its Chinese version...
If you want, I can send you a list of viruses personally and you could see how tragic the detection rate of MBAM could be. And also Avast!. Usually, it takes (at least) three days for avast! to pick up all the viruses missed by its first scan.

Yes, 30 days is ancient in the malware world. A lot of the stuff only has an active life of a few days. When it starts being detected by AV's, they're on to something new. I would say that new malware is detected by all the major AV's within 3 or 4 days after first showing up so even a week is a long time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
Seems the thread diverged from iObit to MBAM ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 03:58:50 AM »
Seems the thread diverged from iObit to MBAM ;D

I believe iObit is behaving like Dark Vader.............Luke.......I'm your father.............come and join me to the power of the dark side of the force............evil very evil.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

youngboy815

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
Maybe he knows everything and will take over the world soon