Author Topic: latest update disables avast  (Read 4787 times)

Austin_F

latest update disables avast
« on: July 23, 2004, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi, I've been using Avast! for about 4 days now.  Working fine, usually says '5 providers running' in the balloon window down by the clock.

Today I booted my pc, and a pop-up box says new virus update downloaded. The next time I happened to look, my avast icon had a red circle with a slash through it.  Various clicks turned up these results:

When I click "Stop protection and exit', it won't exit. It hasn't crashed, it just won't exit.

Hawk

Re:latest update disables avast
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 11:30:15 PM »
That is strange  ??? No problems here after 0430-3 update.
Did you try to reboot? If that doesn't work reinstall avast.
Hope this helps

zeroblackstar

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 04:20:43 AM »
yer, mine does this too, ive been using avast! for about the same amount of time, it stops the providers but doesnt exit

if u really wanna exit it badly jus use task manager an end the process.

Hawk

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 11:20:39 AM »
yer, mine does this too, ive been using avast! for about the same amount of time, it stops the providers but doesnt exit

That's not a bug, it's a feature  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »
The reason it doesn't Exit is because of the email protection, if you totally stop avast and you try to use your email it won't work.

The mail protection wizard changes certain settings in your email account details so your email can be scanned by avast before being viewed in your email program.

The wording in the right click menu could do with an update, this has been mentioned in several posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »
Austin: are you sure it was caused by the avast! update? I.e. didn't you install or uninstall some other programs shortly before the reboot, or did some other changes to your system?

Is it possible to start the avast! Log Viewer? If yes, are there any relevant items there?

Is it possible to start the avast! Antivirus Control Panel applet (from Add/Remove programs) and select "Repair"?

Austin_F

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 10:57:54 AM »
I had to uninstall and reinstall, now it's working.

No, I couldn't get any windows to open at all. They would each throw up a different error message.

I would have closed it via processes but I don't know which one, there wasnt any called avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 12:22:38 PM »
The services that are avast originated start with ash, Disp.exe, etc. (on mine anyway) and there are 4 on my task manager list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security