Author Topic: Avast5 changes screen resolution  (Read 6756 times)

lisaj

Avast5 changes screen resolution
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
I use Av5..and also installed it on my Mom's pc which runs XP(running it for a couple months)...it has worked fine for me forever(Vista).My Mom calls me and says her pc is acting up..Avast is frozen and her screen resolution is whacked..with huge icons.So I go there and cannot get Avast to work..it's acting like it's corrupted.So I uninstall..and pc is happy as a clam..proper resolution..etc.So install a fresh version Av5..but as soon as the pc restarts it starts at the proper resolution..blacks out and goes back to the whacked resolution..try this a couple more times..same results.And Avast seems to be working perfectly.Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast5 changes screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:53 AM »
Sorry but avast didn't change your Mom's screen resolution, it has no function/settings that is able to do that and has no requirement to do that either, so I really don't know what is going on in your Mom's system.

Like you I have never had a problem with avast, certainly not screen resolution and I have had it installed no a few systems with many different monitors and resolutions for over six years.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Some information about the system:
Monitor TFT or CRT and resolution; CPU; RAM, Graphics card, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lisaj

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:53:28 AM »
Hi David..thanks for answering.Yes..I agree wholeheartedly with you..Avast should have nothing to do with screen resolution. But what gets me is when I remove it completely her pc works normally and keeps her original resolution which is 1024 x 768.But once Avast is installed the pc boots up in that mode then black screens and goes to 800 x 600.It's a rebuilt pc with XP which came with AVG up to about 2 or 3 months ago and then I installed Avast..it has worked fine up until a couple days ago when she mentioned her screen all of a sudden went wonky after she booted up..I am sorry but I do not have any of the specs of the pc but when I get back into town again this week I will get them.I think it must be something else but I just wanted to see if anybody has ever experienced this.One thing I remember tho is when I looked at it today Avast gave a msg and I am sorry but I can't exactly remember the wording but but it was to the effect that it was corrupted/not working properly..and gave a fix/repair window ..which went nowhere..I couldn't update or use the program so I uninstalled it.After I reinstalled it, it returned to normal..working properly..except for the resolution thing...(I did this a couple times just to troubleshoot and confirm the relation between Avast and resolution)So right now we just change the resolution and it stays until she restarts her pc.Thanks again and I will be back with the numbers in a couple days..:)
lisa

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:50 AM »
Whilst I don't know if any sort of conflict (with a previous AV or remnants) might cause this type of effect, it is worth ensuring AVG is completely removed.

- Ensure that all remnants of AVG are gone - AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

The corruption error from avast is certainly a possible indication of a conflict, so perhaps the above removal tool might help, followed by a clean reinstall of avast.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.594 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

No problem, glad I could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lisaj

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks,David!..I'll give that a try when I am at her pc again...:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
You're welcome good luck.

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »
Also check and see if the C++ 2008 redistributable is installed on her machine. Avast! needs it and won't work properly without it. It is supposed to be installed by the Avast! installer but I can attest from personal experience that it doesn't always do it. If it's not present in the add/remove programs list, download it from Microsoft. First completely uninstall Avast! then install the C++ and then reinstall Avast!. I'm not sure it will fix your problem but I had problems installing Avast! on the Vista machine here and it's what I had to do to get things working correctly.

Download link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en