Author Topic: Can I download virus definitions from a different computer and install in mine?  (Read 7666 times)

wagonman76

Ok here's the deal.  All I have ever been able to get is dialup internet at 28.8 or many times 36.0 if I try enough, and that was considered blazing.  Recently something happened with the phone lines and now all I can get is 26.4 and my actual download speed is knocked down to 21.6 and is unreliable at that.  The phone company says they only guarantee 14.4 so I'm basically screwed.  Good ol AT&T, they also insisted I could get DSL when I'm over a mile too far on crappy lines as it is and of course never got a signal, finally after a month of hassle they took it back.

I've tried multiple times to download the virus definition file and it just won't go, takes too long and the connection eventually breaks.

So anyway, I was wondering if I could download the virus definition files using my work computer which has a fast connection, then bring them home on a flash drive and install them on my computer.  I did something similar before when I got a newer computer here at home, I took the definition files from the old one to the new one and it worked.  I just had to sign up for a different registration key after 60 days.

Only thing is I can't install Avast at work, so I'd have to get the updates from some link.  If anyone could give me a hand I'd really appreciate it. 

Avast is great, it found a virus that had been plaguing me for months when my paid subscription to Norton wouldn't find it.  Since then I've been sold.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You don't say what version of avast you are using, 4.8 or 5.0 ?
But yes you should be able to get the complete virus definitions for both at this URL, avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download version 5 31MB, version 4.8 39MB. - This is an executable file that will install the full virus database, you will need to disable the avast self-defence module (in avast5) to be able to replace the existing virus database.

Why do you actually need to do this anyway ?
The virus definition updates are incremental and only download the latest updates not the whole lot and this is measured in KBs and not MBs. I'm on dial-up (not as crappy as yours though) and usually connect at 50.6 kbps so it doesn't take very long less than a minute mostly.

So if you can just use the auto update for the virus definitions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

wagonman76,

I understand your issue since I am familiar with the company you referenced in your post.  DavidR., this company does have a reputation for major problems, some worse in other areas (not in the UK).  And it takes them a long time to resolve their problems.  FYI - you are paying for their service, make a call to the D.P.U.C. if you need to which will expedite your issue for your "service," which is considered a utility (phone).

I might suggest to you that if you have the ability to use a laptop or portable device to use outside of work and download your updates at a WiFi hotspot perhaps on your way home from work and use this machine instead. 

The other option is to try and do your updates, which are incremental, during off-peak hours, which is usually late at night or prior to "business" hours.  Make sure nothing else is doing an update at the time.  Your other option is to start looking for another ISP if one is available in your area.

wagonman76

Thanks guys, I'll have to try the link.

The thing with the incremental updates is sometimes it's not so incremental.  I set it to manual update otherwise it goes screwy because it tries to update when I'm not dialed in or when I'm not ready.  And I update once a week, anything more often than that and it usually says my defs are up to date anyway.  When it updates it's usually a few MB, which usually doable.  But awhile ago I was away for a couple weeks and when I came back my update became something like 37 MB which is totally impossible.  Now it's been a couple months and it's 41 MB.

I am using 4.8 and Win 2k.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
because it tries to update when I'm not dialed
Set the avast update options for dial-up only.

And I update once a week
Well... You'll be loosing all the pros of the avast update scheme and being exposed to zero day attacks easily.
The best things in life are free.

vahik

hi

yes you can . try this

1- open setup folder

2- copy all things in this folder to other folder you had made before ----( usb or PC)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-uninstall dial up PC avast

4-re install avast . in the end of instalesion (don't restart PC)

5-open setup folder and delete all things

6-open saved setup folder ( copied before on usb or PC)

7-copy all things in avast setup folder

8-restart PC & update avast
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:20:19 PM by vahik »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ wagonman76
because it tries to update when I'm not dialed
Set the avast update options for dial-up only.

And I update once a week
Well... You'll be loosing all the pros of the avast update scheme and being exposed to zero day attacks easily.

1. As Tech said set it for dial-up only as mine doesn't try to connect for an update unless I have already started a connection, I also delay the update check to allow me to get on-line to do something without the update check happening 30 seconds after the connection is started, see ### below.

2. By not updating automatically you lose the benefit of the incremental updates which would be roughly 1/7th of the size of your weekly manual update and a manual update has no CPU throttling so it is likely to take up more CPU %.

###
- In avast5 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

- Dial-up connections, add this line:
RASWaitSeconds=600 and
UseRAS=1 if not present (or edit UseRAS=0 to UseRAS=1)
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
RASWaitSeconds=600
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wagonman76

Thanks for the info.  Is the incremental update just a thing of automatic updating?  Or Avast 5?  I've tried to do manual update more often than once a week (reducing download size is especially desirable in my case), and it always has said my definitions are up to date.

I'll see what I can do with the settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No, the incremental update works for either auto updates or manual updates through the avastUI (User Interface), Maintenance, Update, Update engine and virus definitions. They both check what virus definitions version you have compared to what is available and downloads the difference.

So by doing it daily auto or manually the difference will be smaller than letting it accumulate for a week. The best option to keep them as small as possible is to allow the default action auto update for the engine and virus definitions.