Author Topic: Scanning results incorrect  (Read 7043 times)

Tweakerz

Re: Scanning results incorrect
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:33 AM »
That is great news GG, if 5.1 smooths out the kinks and sandboxing works well then color me impressed. Sandboxie is awesome but I'll agree it isn't what I would call easy to use, it is not easy to suggest it because it overwhelms or confuses the general population too much to be of use to me, maybe Avast can fill that spot. Love the cloud inclusion and it seems it won't be long till we can see an improvement with Aug/Sept not being that far off really. I don't see them adding much more to the free version if anything with exception to improving what is already there but I may just make the effort to hold out and see how 5.1 does, Avira has me a bit let down so I don't really have anywhere to turn since Emsisoft is working on their recent acquisition to provide x64 support. Thanks for the heads up GG! 8)

...vulnerabilities were already solved in the 5.0.594   Some but not all, definitely a big improvement though from what I am seeing.

EDIT: Just wanted to thank you GG for that video link, Avast did very well with the sandbox it seems, you make any others that tests the other aspects by chance? Web and Behavior are really topping my list along with 0 day detection (which being cloud based will help a great deal). Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:44:59 AM by Tweakerz »

GloobyGoob

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up GG!

You're welcome. I don't have any plans to make a video for the shields because that would be too hard. The sandbox is easier to test because it doesn't rely on definitions and it doesn't block threats, it contains/traps them. You just run several malwares in it and if it doesn't touch your real system then it works. I'd have to test hundreds of samples against the shields for the test to be accurate. Fortunately, there are testing labs for that like AV Comparatives. 

Tweakerz

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
Right on, figured it worth asking about future plans. Thanks again for the video, maybe.......maybe I'll buy for the sandboxing option, probably not though as I can get the same or maybe better levels freely although that of course means multiple programs and a more difficult interface. I would like to know how the resources are affected when you sandbox, is the load higher or do you notice any changes? It didn't seem to slow browsing at all but I am curious how processes looked and how much different the draw is with the free vs the pro version since more active shields are available. As I stated I am looking for a very strong all in one solution and right now I am leaning heavily towards Avast+Threatfire+K9 Web Protection+secure DNS servers for actively protecting systems and Malwarebytes for on demand supplemental scanning. With this combo I should be able to provide a fairly decent resource requirement setup that offers a pretty nice layered defense without any overly difficult configuration and understanding by the users. I am open to suggestions and for those willing to pay for protection just having the above less Threatfire is or should be ideal.  8)

GloobyGoob

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
I don't notice any slowdowns when using the sandbox at all. And I don't think the Pro version will differ from the Free version because the only new shield is the Script Shield. The only problems a few people had with performance were with the Web Shield (slower web browsing) and Behavior Shield. I think it's been fixed, but I'm not entirely sure. 

Tweakerz

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks again GG.  8)