Author Topic: Do you think Avast! is the best antivirus software?  (Read 11469 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Do you think Avast! is the best antivirus software?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »
avast 5.1 will come with cloud technology.
Maybe something similar to on line analysis: the file is uploaded and run in the server (sandboxed and so on). All the impacts are measured and the file classified as malware or clean. For instance: http://camas.comodo.com/
The best things in life are free.

ccookie

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
Really? When is Avast! 5.1 coming out?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Really? When is Avast! 5.1 coming out?
September/October.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »
Well 5.1 is estimated for release around September this year, but that isn't firm.

Whilst avast is developing a cloud AV element, I haven't seen it stated that this will definitely be ready with 5.1, unless Tech has another source of information for this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ccookie

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »
Thats going to be awesome! ;D  I can't wait for the new Avast! to come out!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:56 AM »
Whilst avast is developing a cloud AV element, I haven't seen it stated that this will definitely be ready with 5.1, unless Tech has another source of information for this.
It's not stated it will be on 5.1. I haven't an inside information. Just the ones that are in the Evangelists forum (reserved board of avast forum).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:04 AM »
It's not stated it will be on 5.1. I haven't an inside information. Just the ones that are in the Evangelists forum (reserved board of avast forum).

It's just that you said "avast 5.1 will come with cloud technology" in reply #15. So I just queered it so as not to give anyone any false hope.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GloobyGoob

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 01:46:03 AM »
Interesting... I thought vlk said no cloud AV because of all their hard work with the definitions or something... :P Anyway, I think that'll be great :)

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »
Interesting... I thought vlk said no cloud AV because of all their hard work with the definitions or something... :P Anyway, I think that'll be great :)
They don't have to go with a full cloud AV but something like what MSE does would be good. If something that does not have a signature in your current database is flagged as suspicious by heuristics or the behavior shield, then have the program contact the Avast! servers to see if the file has been reported or if there is a signature for it that you have not received yet. If a new signature is found, have the file scanned and the signature downloaded to your machine.