Author Topic: Rkill puts a stop to file in avast folder...is something wrong?  (Read 2707 times)

cylistarr

Rkill puts a stop to file in avast folder...is something wrong?
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
Editing this again..(apologies) I completely placed it in the wrong thread I'm fairly sure now...I do not know how to move it but if there is some kind person who could move or remove that would be great, thank you.

I haven't been able to get my aol mail using outlook the last couple days and it said something about my memory being used up, then it was trying to update for some reason and it got very very very slow, and I'm not used to that.  Then since it seemed to be like my memory was being eaten up I restarted to see what would happen and then downloaded and ran Rkill.  Rkill said this had an issue and was terminated:

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11092301\Sf.bin

in the log it created and I was just wondering if it's a false alarm thing.  I was fixing to run malwarebytes once Rkill was done but now I'm just kinda waiting to get more info before I do anything else.  

Oh I use the free home version of avast btw..
thanks for any help you guys can give!

Edited because I forgot to mention that now my websites are loading a bit slower than instantly, takes nearly 2 seconds to load now as if something is completely slowing down everything and I have no idea what.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:57:37 AM by cylistarr »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Rkill puts a stop to file in avast folder...is something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »
RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

cylistarr

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:05:29 AM »
I must be missing the point.  Well thank you for the information, I guess I will just assume that nothing is wrong.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:04 AM »
Well I'm not entirely sure what point you were trying to make in your original post.

- The SF.bin is the code emulation part of the avast and is downloaded or updated on virus definitions updates. So Rkill is wrong about that, but essentially Rkill is designed to stop processes (which presumably it considers malicious) before you go hunting malware. I have no idea how it determines that, but it is wrong in this instance.

So on to your problem:
Quote from: cylistarr
I haven't been able to get my aol mail using outlook the last couple days and it said something about my memory being used up, then it was trying to update for some reason and it got very very very slow, and I'm not used to that. 

If you can be more detailed about this, e.g. the full error message, as your description doesn't ring any bells for avast errors/alerts/warnings, etc.

If you can also give us some information on your system, OS, RAM, CPU, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security