Author Topic: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.  (Read 67313 times)

L5n25

Re: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 06:33:27 AM »
Which is your avast version?
Is this pop-up the upgrade from 4 to 5 version?
Why didn't you upgrade yet? It was released in January. The support of version 4 will end by December of this year.

How would one be able to tell?... the pop-up looks like many "hijack" popups, doesn't state you should visit the website, doesn't mention 5.0 (or 4.8 ), offers you links that I'm not going to click on a "marketing" pop-up that looks like that.

I had to do an internet search to find this forum to find out that it might be due to a legit prompting to upgrade to 5.0 from 4.8.

All in all I have to agree this pop-up is annoying and misses the mark.  I would have likely upgraded weeks ago had they simply used the words:  "go to the regular avast website www.avast.com and check out information on 5.0".  For the record, this is not the usual green slide up dialog that avast has used but a rather obnoxious pop-up that covers the entire screen that is heavy on the "marketese" but light on the information front.  This is not the technique an antivirus firm I expect to elicit upgrades since it emulates the very thing that I seek to avoid on my machine... an obnoxious pop-up that comes out of nowhere... doesn't match expectations of any application I've installed... and repeatedly pops up when it is unwanted at random intervals.

For the record... I've upgraded now (although I had to re-register which was another annoying attribute of this upgrade).  ;-)

We'll see...

coolsilver

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »
I like the new version and been recommending it for some time now :D

elzar

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
I also am pissed off about the NAG.  It's one thing to offer a new version, it's another to keep nagging people about it.

Why would getting a new key & reinstalling V4 fix the NAG - won't it keep coming back?

I do not have the time now to deal with installing/researching/configuring/fixing a bunch of issues with a software upgrade that are sure to happen on my PC and want to stay with v4.8 until I do have the time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
It won't come back because it is linked to how long you have left on the updates expiration date, that would trigger the update notification.

It seems that those that have done as suggested and re-register, get the new key and enter it, extending the updates expiration for another year, so no more pop-up update notification.

That however, will only go so far as the supported period of avast 4.8 which is 31/12/2010 I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elzar

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 06:53:38 AM »
Thanks, maybe I'll try that.

Btw, not to be a nag myself but I've already been getting "support calls" from my non-PC literate friends who got upgraded & now something has changed & they are having some kind of issue or other...sigh...first guess without actually knowing the full details is that it looks like the upgrade has new breakdowns or names for the on-access protection pieces??  And some of these (p2p) for example which may have been purposely left OFF are defaulting now to ON???

I'm so busy right now I have not had time to help them and told them to use their own brains and figure it out (not much is going to happen there though).  Eventually when I upgrade my own PCs (next year probably) I'll assist them if I can....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
All shields were default on from as long back as I can remember even in the 4.x versions. Shields that aren't physically being used (e.g. they have the corresponding applications running, P2P/IM) won't be actively using resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

H.Seldon

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.
You'll now have the monumental task of remembering, yourself, to update to version 5 before version 4 expires.
This was apparently part of a virus definition update, even though it has nothing to do with virus definitions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
Or until version 4 is supported...
I see no reason for not upgrading to version 5...
The best things in life are free.

H.Seldon

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
I see no reason for not upgrading to version 5...

If you read elzar's post, you would "see" the reason (a very valid one).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
If you read elzar's post, you would "see" the reason (a very valid one).
Can you quote it? I continue not to see a technical reason for not upgrading...

H.Seldon

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
#26. And weather or not you "see" it is beside the point. It's what he sees that matters. It's his computer, not yours.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
#26. And weather or not you "see" it is beside the point. It's what he sees that matters. It's his computer, not yours.
I'm not saying no. I just can't find the reason even to read it, to know it. What is #26?

H.Seldon

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
#19 above. And weather or not you "see" it is beside the point. It's what he sees that matters. It's his computer, not yours.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
And weather or not you "see" it is beside the point. It's what he sees that matters. It's his computer, not yours.

Seems to be some kind of time warp... ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

H.Seldon

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
Now I see why you don't see. Sorry, I don't post in braille.