Author Topic: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.  (Read 67310 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
they are having some kind of issue or other
Please, elaborate. Which issue?

it looks like the upgrade has new breakdowns or names for the on-access protection pieces??
There are no breakdowns in the upgrade. If you experience any, please post.

And some of these (p2p) for example which may have been purposely left OFF are defaulting now to ON???
P2P was always ON as a shield (provider in version 4.8 ). uTorrent is disabled into the shield by default since version 4.8 also.

I'm so busy right now I have not had time to help them and told them to use their own brains and figure it out (not much is going to happen there though).  Eventually when I upgrade my own PCs (next year probably) I'll assist them if I can....
Well... they could ask for help here in forums.

@H.Seldon
Do not answer me in circles, please. It's not a matter that I could see or not see. It's that there is a missing of information for me. I don't know what is happening because the users aren't posting exactly what's the problem, exactly or technically what's wrong with version 5. It's NOT my opinion against any other opinion, it's NOT a matter of what I think or not. There is a lack of information and the discussion will go in circles without it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
Now I see why you don't see. Sorry, I don't post in braille.
No sarcastic posts here, please.
See = understand.
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »
Now I see why you don't see. Sorry, I don't post in braille.
No sarcastic posts here, please.
See = understand.
H.Seldon is a Newbie and does not even know what county he is in and likes to publish his email address for spammers and scammers.  ::)

H.Seldon

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 03:43:33 AM »
All I did was post a solution for eliminating that annoying nag window. It did not require further comment. It was clear to me from elzar's reply #19 that he did not want to take the time right now to update and possibly have to deal with problems that others have reported in the forum. I'm sorry if my braille comment offended Tech. It was sarcastic and doesn't belong here. Thanks, YoKenny for alerting me about my email address. Now, grow up.

SafeSurf

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
@ H.Seldon,

Should you ever need to edit a post you made, go back to your post and you will see above the post window in the upper right corner a "Modify" button > make your edited changes > click "Save" on the bottom left of the post window > you can optionally add in the post field why you made the edit.

As with all forums, there is forum conduct, and we learn from our mistakes.  Browsing around the forum may help or you may find something interesting.  Thank you.  :)

beatme101

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I started getting this nag window recently. But there's a catch:

Information about current update:
Total time: 40 s

- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.8.1368)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 100729-0)

Server: download777.avast.com (208.43.71.158)
Downloaded files: 5 (118.10 KB)
Download time: 3 s

Looks like I'll have to just remove avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
What is it nagging you about, nag windows to my mind don't convey information but nag you to buy the related product and this clearly isn't doing that.

Just started getting it, that update notification has been going for years and is one of the many things that you the user can change in what is one of the most configurable AVs out there.

But baby and bath water come to mind if you would get rid of avast for something as benign as this, especially if it is within your control to display it or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

beatme101

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
nag you to buy the related product

This is what it does. The window's primary purpose seems to be telling me to pay for the "internet security" version. It does a side-by-side comparison with the free version (which seems to only have one feature, compared to the "internet security" version which has FIVE features!), in a huge window that is forced always on top of anything else I have open.

The nag window cannot be closed with alt-f4, only by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sure, yes, it can be disabled, by renaming the file. But I shouldn't have to do that. And this new nag popup was installed without my consent, so I'm not going to keep the software that installed it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
It isn't telling you to buy based on what you posted, so if it is different then avast are trying to get those on 4.8 to switch to 5.0 (you don't have to buy anything, stick with the free version) as they are trying to smoothly shutdown 4.8 as it is intended there will be no support past the end of this year.

You don't have to rename anything, if you actually re-register - Complete the avast! free antivirus Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ register.avast . com (without the spaces) with your registration key.

That should stop the update notification, as would installing 5.0 if you have a supported OS (not win9.x or winME). avast5 has been out for almost 6 months so if your OS is supported that is the option I would choose as it is better than 4.8.

Totally your choice as it is your system.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elzar

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
they are having some kind of issue or other

Please, elaborate. Which issue?

I do not recall all the issues.  I told them I cannot help them until I delve into the new version for myself, that I am as clueless as they are....

it looks like the upgrade has new breakdowns or names for the on-access protection pieces??
There are no breakdowns in the upgrade. If you experience any, please post.

Sorry you misunderstand, by "breakdowns" I meant modules, subprograms, engines, scanners, whatchamacallits, whatever the names are of the pieces that go into the realtime scanner system -  I don't know what to correctly refer to them as.  I didn't mean a "breakdown" in the sense of the upgrade failing.

EG: One friend asked me what settings he should use for several things (? I do not recall the names?) but I was unable to advise him since some of those that he asked me about do not exist by those names in the version I am running (4.8) on my PCs.  I do not recall what it was he was asking me about, but I could not see it in v4.x thus I could not answer his question(s).

And some of these (p2p) for example which may have been purposely left OFF are defaulting now to ON???

P2P was always ON as a shield (provider in version 4.8 ). uTorrent is disabled into the shield by default since version 4.8 also.

He had P2P turned off in 4.8 as well as some other components he did not need on.   When he upgraded to 5.x P2P (as well as other things) turned itself ON ignoring his previous setting.  It seems that the 5.x upgrade ignores previous system settings????  Btw, uTorrent was configured as ON in his new 5.x setting, not OFF or excluded or whatever.

I'm so busy right now I have not had time to help them and told them to use their own brains and figure it out (not much is going to happen there though).  Eventually when I upgrade my own PCs (next year probably) I'll assist them if I can....

Well... they could ask for help here in forums.

Yeah, I wish they would.  But instead they usually just ask me.  I try to help friends/relatives as best I can, including educating them as to WHERE they could go to help themselves (forums like this one) but most of them don't want to be bothered, or do not even have the slightest PC knowledge to deal with anything on their own :-(

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:51:42 PM by elzar »

elzar

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:09 PM »
For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.
You'll now have the monumental task of remembering, yourself, to update to version 5 before version 4 expires.
This was apparently part of a virus definition update, even though it has nothing to do with virus definitions.

Thought I would try your advice Seldon as it seemed the simplest & quickest way to quiet this nag for me (don't have to uninstall, reinstall, get a new license key, futz with all the program settings to be what I want them to be all over again, etc etc), but ran into some problems.

I don't know how to "disable the self-defense module" - how do you do that?   

I found that Avast would not let me rename the "asw5Not2.exe" file (because of self defense I guess).  I booted into safe mode so avast would not be running, and then it let me rename that file.

However, upon rebooting my PC suffered an unintended side effect - all of my restore points are now gone for some unknown reason.   :-(

Sigh. Always something.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
Disabling the self defense module is done by going to program settings, troubleshooting, and removing the tick from the appropriate box. There will be a warning screen to "ok" your way out of.

System restore can be capricious at the best of times, I don't rely on it.
Taking regular backups of important data, or creating a disk image from time to time is a much better alternative.

I'd go further than that and say that anyone who does not back their data up, sooner or later, is likely to lose it.
ERUNT is an excellent registry backup utility, and in my opinion more reliable than system restore.

I don't know exactly why you've lost your restore points, but any time you play "test pilot" with not-well-understood fixes or procedures, this sort of thing is on the cards. Or it may have had nothing to do with what you did in this instance.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
nag you to buy the related product

This is what it does. The window's primary purpose seems to be telling me to pay for the "internet security" version. It does a side-by-side comparison with the free version (which seems to only have one feature, compared to the "internet security" version which has FIVE features!), in a huge window that is forced always on top of anything else I have open.

The nag window cannot be closed with alt-f4, only by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sure, yes, it can be disabled, by renaming the file. But I shouldn't have to do that. And this new nag popup was installed without my consent, so I'm not going to keep the software that installed it.

I'm sorry to see that Avast is going this route, I've seen this on a customers computer. They called me because they thought they had a virus and I can see why, It looks like a large spam pop-up.

@ H.Seldon, Thanks for the tip.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

elzar

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:41 AM »
Disabling the self defense module is done by going to program settings, troubleshooting, and removing the tick from the appropriate box. There will be a warning screen to "ok" your way out of.

System restore can be capricious at the best of times, I don't rely on it.
Taking regular backups of important data, or creating a disk image from time to time is a much better alternative.

I'd go further than that and say that anyone who does not back their data up, sooner or later, is likely to lose it.
ERUNT is an excellent registry backup utility, and in my opinion more reliable than system restore.

I don't know exactly why you've lost your restore points, but any time you play "test pilot" with not-well-understood fixes or procedures, this sort of thing is on the cards. Or it may have had nothing to do with what you did in this instance.

Thanks for the tip where to find the self defense setting.  I'm trying that on a different PC now.  The nag is driving me crazy but I don't have the time to deal with uninstalling 4.8, installing 5, learning new app settings to work correctly with my PCs, possibly debugging new problems with new antivirus software right now (don't even have time to deal with the workaround for uninstalling, reinstalling 4.8, getting new license key)....wish I did...but I don't..am in the midst of trying to move/sell house/tons of stuff you guys don't need to hear about....so I want to try that fix as a very quick possible solution to a very annoying issue.

And I agree with everything you said above about backups etc.  However restore points do have their uses, especially when futzing with installing/uninstalling some applications.  I'm not happy I lost them (and don't know why they all vanished, and I had just created one earlier in the day prior to uninstalling something else), but that's life.

Thanks again.

Damo37

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »
just like to say that i too am getting pretty f*ucked off with the avast!licensing alert, i DO NOT wish to change to v5, and if this doesn't stop i will stop using avast altogether. it will not allow me to upgrade with my current license key so there is no way i am shelling out for another license