Author Topic: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.  (Read 67318 times)

Jweigh

Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:45 PM »
Is anybody out there getting pi**ed off at the constant nag of the License renewal pop up?
I have used Avast (free) for more than 3 years and never had this annoying pop B4.
My experience with Avast has been nothing but good (no problems at all).
My license does not expire till September and I have not failed in the past to renew when it's time 
This pop up, pops up every time I turn on the computer and go online, which could be 4-5 times a day.
The tech guy at Avast help line says just close it when it pops up. No walk around to block it.
I could use some creativity from anyone out there OR maybe The wise people of Avast.Com
could TURN OFF THE NAG.
Thanks for any thoughts or help it will be greatly appreciated. 
Jerry   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:14 AM »
Which is your avast version?
Is this popup the upgrade from 4 to 5 version?
Why didn't you upgrade yet? It was released in January. The support of version 4 will end by December of this year.
The best things in life are free.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:46 AM »
Can't you just renew to make the popup go away? After all, it doesn't take too long. ^-^

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:25:10 AM »
Not experiencing this on version 5, at all. Nada, zip.

There was a sliding green box above the system tray popped up periodically for the last week or so I was using version 4, is that what you mean?

The advice is to update to the latest version. It's painless. Much as though I liked 4.8 (and still remember fondly the skinnable interface) version 5 is a beauty.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »
avast! 5 is just superior to anything released by avast! team before. So insisting on v4.8 just doesn't make sense at all. Version 5 is faster and has better detection. It's highly recommended to update your avast!.
At the same time, that licensing popup will go away.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Jweigh

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I guess with so many of you cooler headed (than I) people, saying go to 5 it
does make sense. I was a little Leary of it as this forum has had a lot of bad things to say about it
at start up. I just would have liked to been able to make the decision myself and not be coursed into
going to 5 B4 my regularly scheduled update.

Thanks once again for you thoughts,
I will update to 5 soon.
Jerry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
I was a little Leary of it as this forum has had a lot of bad things to say about it at start up.
The majority of the people come to forums to ask for help.
But the majority of the people don't have a problem. Only few happy users post. So the forum always show a terrible product... when, in fact, is the opposite :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »
Sure, there were all kinds of problems with ver. 5 when it was first released in "final" form.  But the vast majority of those problems have been fixed in subsequent sub-versions (current is 5.0.594).

One of the biggest improvements in ver. 5 over 4.8 is the new transient/persistent caching feature which speeds up on-demand scans tremendously.  I can now run a full system scan including default archive types in about half the time it used to take in 4.8 without archives.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

GloobyGoob

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
Yeah, the majority of users have no problems with version 5. Lets take the total number of topics (assuming that all of them relate to problems/issues) in the avast! Free/Pro/Suite section (27814) and divide it by the total amount of users (1,000,000). That's only 2.7%.

darth

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 05:14:14 AM »
Your right jweigh. There is an saying "If it an't broke don 't fix it"

And Avast 4.8 was'nt broke.

sandeep108

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
As posted by Mike and RejZjor, I can also confirm that v5 is much faster than 4.8 in normal course even other than scans. I have had no problems with the current .594 as yet. I also waited a while and only recently updated.

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
@ darth,

No, what we are saying is that v.5.0.594 is greatly improved over 4.0 in many ways.  I myself had 4.0 and the difference between the two versions is incredible!  We are here to help guide you through the change if you need help, but from the feedback we have received, people overall are very happy with 5.0.  :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »
Indeed, 4.8 was a great application. Never caused me a single problem, I liked almost everything about it, even the GUI - which put me in the minority I think.
But version 5 is a step up. I think quite a big step.
Hi, ^^.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »
Hi all,

if you prefer to stay with version 4.8 and to get rid of the popup screen, you need to re-register and obtain a new key to the program.
You can register here:
http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
Then you get an email with the license key. ( I am sure you are familiar with this process ;-)

Martin

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »
Jweigh / Jerry,

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.  :)