Author Topic: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.  (Read 67363 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ticked off by "Avast Licensing Alert" pop up.
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »
just like to say that i too am getting pretty f*ucked off with the avast!licensing alert, i DO NOT wish to change to v5, and if this doesn't stop i will stop using avast altogether. it will not allow me to upgrade with my current license key so there is no way i am shelling out for another license
Version 4.8 should stop being supported. This is a technology necessity: some features aren't available for the technology of version 4.8.
The upgrade to version 5 and 6 will be a necessity for more than 99% of the users.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:49 AM »
just like to say that i too am getting pretty f*ucked off with the avast!licensing alert, i DO NOT wish to change to v5, and if this doesn't stop i will stop using avast altogether. it will not allow me to upgrade with my current license key so there is no way i am shelling out for another license

Support for avast 4.8 is due to come to an end soon, avast 5 has been out almost a year now, so if you don't have an old OS, win9x, winME then you can update to avast 5.

If your license is still in date it is still valid and you don't have to shell out for another license, you will have to convert your existing license.
- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you.

Or after downloading avast 5, install avast 5 over avast 4.8 and it retains the license information, uninstalls avast 4.8 Pro and installs avast 5 Pro.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mlucagilbert

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
I just started getting the popup and I too am pi$$ed with it. I have always been happy with it, but this nag is Symantec-like. A popup every couple of hours is excessive. The Avast people should know better. I'm looking for a new platform.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
I just started getting the popup and I too am pi$$ed with it. I have always been happy with it, but this nag is Symantec-like. A popup every couple of hours is excessive. The Avast people should know better. I'm looking for a new platform.
Why dont you just upgrade to the new version if you hate the popups that much, avast is wanting to get everyone of the old version as it will cease before long and it slows down progress on the new versions.

Gargamel360

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »
Why dont you just upgrade to the new version
Well, we know why a lot of people on old 4.8 wont upgrade.  Pirated licenses. ;)

Thats no accusation toward any who are posting in protest here, no offense intended if your beef is legitimate, but odds say at least someone here has a pirated license.

If you are one of those people, you deserve worse than a pop-up, so stop whining.

ady4um

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »
There are valid reasons to use v4.8 (Win 9x anyone?). Besides that, nagging users is not necessarily a good way to convince users of updating. Most users of old versions would know already about the existence of new ones. Nagging usually pisses people off, whether is a computer program or any type of "publicity" or any type of nagging (even from a real human ;D ). If Avast wants to get people to update, nagging is not going to get the objective achieved.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
Well it is either that or one day support stops and there will be complaints about not being notified.  Heads I win Tails you lose  ;D

ady4um

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »
Well it is either that or one day support stops and there will be complaints about not being notified.  Heads I win Tails you lose  ;D

I'm all for notifications (and anyone reading my latest posts knows about it :) ), but "notifications" is not the same as "nagging at every database update (just to put an example). As almost always, "balance" is the key.

Gargamel360

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
There are valid reasons to use v4.8 (Win 9x anyone?).
QFT, and as I said, I don't want to begrudge legit users at all....but I would say Vegas odds put a lot of these people sitting on 4.8 either running pirated Windows, so they can't/wont upgrade their SP to be compatible, or using a cracked license.
Besides that, nagging users is not necessarily a good way to convince users of updating. Most users of old versions would know already about the existence of new ones. Nagging usually pisses people off, whether is a computer program or any type of "publicity" or any type of nagging (even from a real human ;D ). If Avast wants to get people to update, nagging is not going to get the objective achieved.

Well, conversely....what happens when they boot up one day and find they will get no more definition updates?  This has the potential to inflame all on its own.  They likely push the nag to get as many of their legit users upgraded as possible to minimize the fallout. And there will be fallout, as Avast! is one of, if not the last, with such old compatibility, people will feel "abandoned", whatever the good reasons for doing so.

Also, they have to push this upgrade warning so everyone sees it....a lot of people boot up their PC all day, but spend maybe an hour of that day actually sitting there....these people need frequent notifications, they could easily miss anything.  There is no way to cater this to the whole user base, it is quite literally the lesser of the two evils.

cdeford

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Hello, I'd just like to add something to this. I still have a free 4.8 licence and I also find the nag objectionable. I can't upgrade because version 5 doesn't run on XP SP1 which I still have to use due to the need to use some older programs that won't run under SP2 or later.

I fully understand about support for 4.8 being removed, and I accept that. But in the meantime it's my choice to stick with 4.8 and I don't need this nag popping up every 5 minutes telling me what I already know.

If Avast want to get the majority of users off 4.8, why don't they just set a date, publish it on the website and maybe send a single alert and then leave it to the user to decide what to do. These constant nag screens are in my view totally unproffessional.

@Gargamel360 - I appreciate the point about making sure everyone sees the information, but there should be a way for those who have seen it, to then turn off the alerts, and there doesn't seem to be.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:42:19 PM by cdeford »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Why shouldn't avast! 5/6 run on XP SP1?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »

igor does it not say under system requirements a minimum of xp sp2

cdeford

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

Just guessing but I imagine the APIs are different and Avast just didn't want/see the need to cater for SP1 any longer.

I think it does say somewhere that you need SP2 or later - but not on that upgrade pop-up. Indeed it mentions the Windows versions that are not supported and doesn't include any flavour of XP. So an XP SP1 user will think it's OK to go ahead and upgrade (as I did) only to find out once the new version is installed that it doesn't work, indeed causes all sorts of problems and crashes. That is pretty irresponsible.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:17:21 PM by cdeford »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Hmm, interesting.
Well, I'm not saying some functions may not be available (e.g. the Sandbox?), but if Win2k is supported, WinXP SP0/1 should IMHO work too (no guarantees though).

jander38

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 02:11:14 AM »
i just went from 4.8 to 5 pro and now my games arent working right..... only one ive had a chance to check is Final Fantasy 11 which now has a graphics glitch every .75 sec........  so i have a bit of mixed review on 5 so far... :(