Author Topic: Stop boot scan.  (Read 6090 times)

kstyles

Stop boot scan.
« on: July 04, 2003, 11:27:17 AM »
 ???
A boot scan runs every time I boot. How do I turn the scan off?

It reports: Record 0 error
                  Press Esc to end

When I press Esc it starts another boot scan .......many times, each time reporting Record 0 error, before it finally aborts and starts a Win boot. Each time I boot, it adds another scan to the cycle!!!

Your advice would be appreciated. I use Avast4HE on my AMD2200Athlon with WinXP Pro.
Great product. Thks guys.

Keith

PS:  Avast reports Win32: Dialler-B (trj) as a virus & the only way to get rid of it is with the boot scan. Avast can't get rid of it in Windows and neither AdAware or SpyBot detects it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 11:34:48 AM by kstyles »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software

kstyles

Re:Stop boot scan.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 01:13:33 PM »
 :-\
Thks for the fast reply. Checked it out but nogo. My Registry does not have that entry.It has HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute= Autocheck Autochk* only.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 01:48:31 PM »
That is the only way how boot-time scan can get started. Try 'View' -> 'Display binary data' to check if the value is not damaged somehow.

kstyles

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 02:36:28 PM »
Very odd. 6 entries of aswboot.exe in the binary data, which only show up with the modify binary data option. Regedt32.exe is a pretty dumb program. Why did I expect more of M$S. I've deleted them all.
Will let you know how it goes after reboot...Thks

kstyles

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 07:50:11 PM »
Great.
Problem solved after deleting all 6 of the entries from the registry & rebooted ok with no boot scans.

EslJoe

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 09:06:08 AM »
I am also having a problem with the bootscan. Thanks to the info so far provided I have found the rekey and deleted the additional entries but I suspect I am going to have to continue to do that from time to time and I am wondering if I were to alter the registry entry somehow I would be able to safely escape the scan when needed. I am also getting the error message "launching record not found on every boot"
my registry entry is as follows
autocheck autochk * C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\aswBoot.exe /A:"C:\WINNT" /L:"English"  

kstyles

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 11:44:08 AM »
 :D
I corrected the problem.
Delete all after the * in the scanboot line of the Reg entry. Haven't had a repeat of the problem since then.